LEDIG STILLING VED UIT NORGES ARKTISKE UNIVERSITET
Professor / Associate Professor for The Ocean Leadership program
UiT The Arctic University of Norway
The Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics (BFE) consists of Department of Arctic and Marine Biology, Norwegian College of Fishery Science (NFH) and School of Business and Economics. The main task of BFE is to conduct teaching and research dissemination at a high national and international level within all relevant fields. Prioritized research areas are aquatic and terrestrial ecosystems, climate, life in the arctic, marine bioprospecting, fish health, seafood products, business and macroeconomics, resources and environment, markets and management of marine resources.
The interdisciplinary profile of the faculty provides good opportunity to develop research projects involving several research groups at the faculty according to its strategy.
Faculty of Biosciences, Fisheries and Economics
UiT The Arctic University of Norway will establish a multidisciplinary master´s degree program in Ocean Leadership, targeting leaders in public administration, business and civil society. The Faculty of Bisciences, Fisheries and Ecoomics (BFE) therefore has a position vacant as Professor/Associate Professer to coordinate The Ocean Leadership program. The program is affiliated to The Norwegian College of Fishery Science (NCFS) and is a joint undertaking with the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Science and Technology.
NCFS, a unit at the BFE Faculty, is a research and research-based teaching institution with an interdisciplinary academic environment. Research groups include Living Marine Resources, Food science, Fish Health, Marine Drug Discovery, Marine Resource Management and Development, and Environmental and Resource Economics.
The workplace is at UiT in Tromsø. You must be able to start in the position within 6 months after receiving the offer.
The position’s field of research or work
The Ocean Leadership program aims at providing students with core competences to address major ocean challenges, including climate change, sustainable harvesting, and integrated oceans management. Students will develop skills to utilize the evolving and dynamic opportunities provided by big data and digitalization in leadership, understanding of governance frameworks, and effective communication.
The program is international, will admit up to 20 students annually, and operate as a continuing education program in collaboration with the students´ employers. The master´s thesis will be developed in cooperation with the employer to ensure return on investment to the student´s workplace.
The position of Professor/Associate Professor will be devoted to the development and implementation of the master´s program in Ocean Leadership.
50% of the position is allocated to own research, the remaining time to the administration of the program and teaching. An administrative assistant will be assigned to the program.
Further information about the position and UiT is available by contacting:
- Professor Alf Håkon Hoel, Tel: +47 77646027 Email: [email protected] or
- Professor Petter Holm, Tel: +47 77645548, Email: [email protected]
The successful candidate must provide documentation and/or other evidence of the following requirements:
- A doctoral degree in one of the academic disciplines represented in the Ocean Leadership program, such as marine digital technologies, marine international law, leadership, governance, economics social or political science.
- Ability and capacity to lead the development and implementation of multidisciplinary research and teaching programs.
- Language skills: You must be fluent in English. Competence in Norwegian, if not already acquired, must be acheived within two years of starting the position.
Furthermore, the candidate should have in-depth understanding of the importance and potentials of digitalization for ocean businesses and ocean governance. The successful candidate must be willing to get involved in the ongoing development of their department and the university as a whole.
Documented qualifications beyond basic competences and experiences related to student-active forms of learning are an advantage.
We are searching candidates who are ambitious, and who communicates and cooperates well. Personal qualifications will also be taken into consideration.
Qualification requirements for the position as Professor:
- Academic level conforming to established international or national standards for position of Professor in the relevant subject areas.
- Documented pedagogical competence.
In addition you must document
- development of the quality of one's own teaching and supervision over time, and
- broad supervision experience, preferably at master's/PhD level, and
- participation in the development of educational quality in academic communities
To be awarded a professorship, you must document substantially more extensive research of high quality than that required to be awarded a doctorate degree. You must document academic activity at a high level over the previous six years, and that this points forwards towards continued activity at professorial level.
Qualification requirements for the position as Associate Professor:
- Norwegian doctoral degree in the relevant subject areas or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognised as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree, or competence at a corresponding level documented by academic work of the same scope and quality
- Documented pedagogical competence
At UiT we emphasise on the quality, relevance and significance of the research work and not on where the work is published, in accordance with the principles of The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment (DORA).
UiT wishes to increase the proportion of females in academic positions. In cases where two or more applicants are found to be approximately equally qualified, female applicants will be given priority.
Pedagogical competence (basic)
All applicants for teaching and research positions shall document their pedagogical competence. You must have aquired basic competence for teaching and supervision at the bachelor level or higher, this include basic skills in planning, conducting, evaluating and developing teaching and supervision.
The pedagogical competence can be achieved in one of the following ways:a) Completed education or courses designed to provide teaching competence for teaching at universities and colleges, equivalent to a minimum of 200 hours
b) Experience as a teacher and supervisor in higher education is required, including relevant courses and seminars. Experience with teaching and supervision in higher education corresponding to two years in a full-time position is required. For dosent and professor positions, experience with teaching and supervision in higher education corresponding to three years in a full-time position of is required.
a) Applicants who have completed education or courses designed to provide teaching competence for teaching at universities and colleges, equivalent to a minimum of 200 hours, must attach a diploma and curriculum for the completed course.
b) Other applicants shall describe, assess and document their competence as a teacher and supervisor.The skills must be documented in the form of a teaching portfolio.
For Professor positions, the teaching competence can be developed and documented through a combination of courses and teaching portfolio.
Applicants for Professor positions shall also document that the supplementary criteria are satisfied:
- Description of and reflection over your work involving development of your teaching and supervision. This should be documented with specific examples that demonstrate development over time, as well as a description of and reflection over the process and result
- Description of experience with supervision at master's and PhD level. In addition to describing the scope of the supervision, you shall also summarize your supervision experience and point to possible development areas
- Description of and reflection over your own leadership, participation and role in development of the educational quality in the academic community
For a position as Professor, the supplementary criteria for a professorial basic pedagogical competence must be met.
Those who do not satisfy the requirements for basic pedagogical competence, but are regarded abel to achive the competance within two years, shall not be ranked based on pedagogical competence. If appointed, they are required to document the competance within two years of appointment. UiT offers courses in educational competence to employees.
- R&D sabbatical conditions which are considered some of the best in the country
- Good welfare arrangements for employees
- Good arrangements for pension, insurance and loans in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
The remuneration for Professor is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1013. The remuneration for Associate Professor is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1011. A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
The allocation of working hours is flexible and allocated on a case-by-case basis. In general, Professors/Associate Professors will spend an equal amount of time on teaching and research and development work, after time spent on other duties has been deducted. As a norm, the time resources spent on administrative duties constitutes 5 % for academic staff.
Inclusion and diversity
UiT The Arctic University i Norway is working actively to promote equality, gender balance and diversity among employees and students, and to create an inclusive and safe working environment.
We believe that inclusion and diversity is a strength and we want employees with different competencies, professional experience, life experience and perspectives.
If you have a disability, a gap in your CV or immigrant background, we encourage you to tick the box for this in your application.
If there are qualified applicants, we invite least one in each group for an interview. If you get the job, we will adapt the working conditions if you need it.
Apart from selecting the right candidates, we will only use the information for anonymized statistics.
The application must be submitted electronically via www.jobbnorge.no and shall include:
- Application letter
- Diplomas and transcripts (all degrees)
- Written references
- Contact information to 2-3 references
- Documented pedagogical competence
- A list of your academic production
- Description of your academic production, stating which works you consider most important
- The academic works (published or not) you wish us to take into consideration in the assessment
The documentation must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. The committee's mandate is to undertake an assessment of the applicants' qualifications on the basis of the written material presented by the applicants, and the detailed description draw up for the position.
The applicants who are assessed as best qualified will be called to an interview. The interview shall among other things, aim to clarify the applicants personal suitability for the position and motivations. A trial lecture may also be held.
The appointment is made in accordance with State regulations and guidelines at UiT. At our website, you will find more information for applicants.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. UiT and will emphasize making the necessary adaptations to the working conditions for employees with reduced functional ability.
More information about moving to Norway and working at UiT.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.