Spennende jobbmulighet ved Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NordGen)!
Department manager to the genebank
NordGen is hiring department manager to the genebank
Do you want to help conserve biodiversity and work for a more sustainable world? Are you an experienced leader with a natural scientific background who enjoys working with people, plants and seeds? If you also thrive by having an overall responsibility for several different activities at the same time, then perhaps you are our new department manager at NordGen.
Nordic Genetic Resource Center
The Nordic Genetic Resource Center (NordGen) is the Nordic countries' joint gene bank and knowledge center for genetic resources. We work to conserve and promote the sustainable use of the plants, animals and forests that are important for our agriculture and our future food production. NordGen is an institution under the Nordic Council of Ministers.Read more at nordgen.org.
NordGen is the Nordic countries' genebank and knowledge center for genetic resources. We conserve the Nordic seed collection, which consists of 33,000 seed samples – an important research infrastructure that is crucial for researchers and plant breeders to be able to adapt our agriculture to future challenges.
You will be responsible for operations related to the Nordic seed collection and our greenhouses, fields, and laboratories. Further, you are responsible for the operation of the quality assurance system. It is a position with a broad and cross-cutting area of responsibility that requires you to be able to work independent and with colleagues within the organization. You will lead two experienced team leaders responsible for their respective teams of employees and will also have direct reports. An important part of the position is also to interact with Nordic and international research institutions, private companies, and other stakeholders working with plant genetic resources.
As department manager, you will have an exciting position in a dynamic and well-functioning operation. You will have a great influence on shaping your working days and the possibility to be a driving force to further develop your working areas. You will be part of the organization's management team and report directly to the managing director.
- Management of two leaders who are responsible for greenhouses and fields and the seed laboratory and 1-2 direct reports.
- Overall responsibility for NordGen's seed collection and in vitro collection of potatoes for conservation, utilization and distribution
- Responsible for NordGen's quality assurance work
- Responsible for follow-up and development of seed and potato distribution
- Manage contacts and agreements on external seed propagation
- Other tasks within the area
Education and experience
- At least five years of management experience
- At least five years' experience of work in one or more of the following areas: genebank work, work with genetic resources, laboratory operations, seed laboratory, plant breeding, seed production, garden or nursery work, green industries, biodiversity, plant health or similar
- Relevant academic education, at least at a master's level
- Experience of cooperation between public and private actors
- Very good knowledge (speech and writing) in one of the Scandinavian languages and English is a requirement
- Experience of leading other leaders
- Experience of working in Nordic co-operation
- Experience of daily basis working with databases
- Experience of leading major projects
- Experience of international cooperation in biodiversity and genetic resources
- You thrive in the leadership role and are good at motivating others
- You are comfortable working with many activities at the same time.
- You are structured and good at planning the work within your areas of responsibility
- You are social, open and easy to make new contacts
- You thrive in a dynamic environment.
NordGen offers an exciting service in a professional and international work environment. The employment contract will be signed for 4 years with the possibility of extension for another 4 years. The service is located in Alnarp, Sweden.
For further information, contact NordGen's director Lise Lykke Steffensen on +46 738 171 215 or [email protected].
The last application date is August 12, 2022. You apply (including CV and references) through the link.
Organisation: Nordic Gene Resource Centre
City: Alnarp, Sweden
Application Deadline: 12/08/2022 23:59
For further information, contact:
- NordGen's director Lise Lykke Steffensen on +46 738 171 215 or [email protected]