Ledig stilling ved UiT Norges arktiske universitet
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Neuroscience
UiT The Arctic University of Norway
UiT The Arctic University of Norway is a multi-campus research univeristy in Norway and the northernmost university of the world. Our central location in the High North, our broad and diverse research and study portfolio, and our interdisciplinary qualities make us uniquely suited to meet the challenges of the future. At UiT you can explore global issues from a close-up perspective.
Credibility, academic freedom, closeness, creativity and commitment shall be hallmarks of the relationship between our employees, between our employees and our students and between UiT and our partners.
The Faculty of Health Sciences at UiT The Arctic University of Norway represents a newly created entity gathering almost all possible health study programs. This facilitates an unique interdisciplinarity and innovation in health education and research. We work closely with the services in the North to solve tomorrow's challenges. Read more about us at uit.no/helsefak
The Faculty of Health Sciences, Department of Psychology has a position available for researchers at the level of Postdoctoral Research Fellow or Research Fellow in Neuroscience. The position is affiliated with the research group Behavioral and Translational Neuroscience.
The position's work place
The Department of Psychology has nearly 90 employees in total, of which 30 are permanent scientific positions. The department is organized in nine research groups, covering all major fields of psychology. The research group Behavioral and Translational Neuroscience currently consists of two group leaders (a professor and an associate professors), a senior research engineer, three postdoctoral fellows, three PhD candidates, and a research technician.
The project/position`s field of research
The Postdoctoral Fellow will work in the project «PROTEST: Testing for a neural basis of protein appetite», which will study how restriction of dietary protein affects neural and behavioral responses to nutrients. Specifically, the Postdoctoral Fellow will use two-photon microscopy in mice to measure neural activity of deep brain regions during consumption of different nutrients. This will advance our recent work determining the brain circuitry that is involved in generating appetite.
Applicants are encouraged to ask for further information about the position by contacting:
- Professor James McCutcheon, phone +47 7764 4593, e-mail: [email protected]
To be awarded the position of Postdoctoral Research Fellow, a Norwegian doctorate degree (e.g. PhD) is required, or a corresponding international doctorate degree which is recognised as being equal to the Norwegian doctorate degree.
This position requires a PhD degree in any relevant field. Nevertheless, a degree within the area of neuroscience is highly desirable. Applicants who have submitted their thesis are welcome to apply.
We are looking for an enthusiastic researcher at the postdoctoral level who would like to build and advance her/his career in neuroscience. The ideal candidate will have >5 years research experience (including PhD), have a strong academic track record, be interested in cutting-edge neuroscientific techniques and be able and interested in working in a team. Applicants with experience in writing research proposals are highly preferred.
The following practical skills and prior experience will be evaluated positively:
- In vivo behavioral and/or physiological experimentation
- Recovery surgery (including but not limited to stereotaxic procedures)
- Advanced optical techniques such as two-photon microscopy
- Analysis of animal behavior and design of behavioral experiments
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. Python, Matlab) and computational/statistical analysis
- Experience within the field of feeding, ingestive behavior, and/or reward-seeking.
The candidate should have at least a professional working proficiency in English with strong communication skills, and be able to work both independently and as part of a team.
We can offer
- Interesting work tasks in a cutting-edge research project
- A vibrant international research community
- State-of-the art research infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and a state collective agreement
- Pension scheme through the state pension fund
The position of Postdoctoral Fellow is a fixed term position for a period of 3 years. The main objective of the appointment as a post-doctoral research fellow is to qualify for work in senior academic positions. No one may be appointed to more than one fixed term period as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the same institution.
The working hours shall be utilized for research, research-related activities and research administration.
The successful applicant must be willing to engage himself/herself in the ongoing development of his/her discipline and the university as a whole.
National and international trends show that mobility and independence for young researchers are important for achieving external funding at national and international level, and consequently will be important for the prospect of establishing a permanent scientific position in the future.
The following shall therefore be applicable when employed in postdoctoral positions:
- Unless special circumstances indicate otherwise, postdoctoral projects shall be planned with stays abroad (3-12 months). The duration should take into consideration the framework of the overall project.
- Postdoctoral projects must be planned so that the candidate is given sufficient opportunity to develop professional independence within the framework of the overall project.
In order to achieve a targeted use of the postdoctoral position, and to strengthen the employee’s career development, a development plan must be available no later than three months after the appointment contract is signed. The development plan must be approved by the immediate leader with personnel responsibility.
The remuneration for this position is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1352, alternative code 1109.
A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
How to apply
Application an submitted documents (see below) must be sent electronically via the application form available at www.jobbnorge.no and the application must include:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and research interests
- CV – containing a complete overview of education, positions and academic work/list of publications
- Diplomas and transcripts of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent (in original language and translated)
- PhD thesis and other academic works/publications
- Two references with contact details
- Documentation on English proficiency
Proficiency in the English language can be documented in the following ways:
- Diploma from a Norwegian upper secondary school with both spoken and written English (140 hours)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- IELTS (International English Testing Service)
- Completed university degree in the field of English language or literature
- One years completed university studies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or USA, for which English was the language of instructions.
Documentation has to be in English or a Scandinavian language. We only accept applications through Jobbnorge.
An expert committee will assess the applicants’ qualifications based upon the submitted documents and in relation to the requirements stated for the position. The best-qualified applicants will be invited for an interview. The interview shall, among other things, aim to clarify the applicant’s personal suitability and motivation for the position.
UiT is seeking to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions. If two or more applicants are found to be generally equally qualified, the university will prioritize a female over a male candidate.
In addition, applicants shall also refer to the supplementary provisions for the appointment to academic positions such as Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow and Academic Assistant at UiT, The Arctic University of Norway, and to regulations concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
Questions concerning the organisation of the working environment, including that of the physical state of the workplace, health services, possibilities for flexible working hours, part-time work, etc. may be addressed to the telephone reference in this announcement.
At UiT, The Arctic University of Norway, diversity is valued, and we therefore encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of their age, gender, functional ability or national or ethnic background. The university is an IW employer and places importance on making the necessary adaptations to working conditions for employees with disabilities.
Personal information given in an application and CV will be treated in accordance with the Act relating to the processing of personal data (the Personal Data Act). In accordance with section 25, subsection 2 of the Freedom of Information Act, the applicant may request not to be registered on the public list of applicants. However, the university may nevertheless decide to make the candidate’s name public. The applicant will receive advance notification of any such publication.
You can find more information on the website for arriving staff.
We look forward to receiving your application!