Hydro Aluminium Metal a leading supplier of extrusion ingots, sheet ingots, foundry alloys, wire rods and high-purity aluminum with a global production network of around 5,000 employees. With primary metal production facilities in Europe, Canada, Australia, Brazil and Qatar, and recycling facilities throughout Europe and in the U.S., two-thirds of our primary aluminum production is based on renewable energy.
Since 1905, Hydro has turned natural resources into valuable products for people and businesses with focus on a safe and good workplace for our 30,000 employees in more than 140 locations.
Hydro is committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future and in doing so, creating more viable societies by developing natural resources into products and solutions in innovative and efficient ways to industries that matter.
We are Hydro, a global family of 30,000 people, present in a broad range of market segments for aluminium and metal recycling, and energy and renewables, offering a unique wealth of knowledge and competence.
We have a proud history and are committed to leading the way in shaping a sustainable future by developing natural resources into innovative products and solutions. In doing so, we truly believe that our people matter the most to make the difference.
Click here to explore our world and the heart of our operations.
The Research and Development team in Sunndalsøra is a group of 20 highly competent, engaged and creative researchers. We work on developing new casthouse products and alloys, often in close collaboration with customers.
A new focus area in recent years has been to develop Hydro’s new line of green aluminium products with unprecedented low carbon footprint. These products are now marketed under the brand Hydro CIRCAL & REDUXA. This focus is fitting with the megatrend towards a circular, more sustainable and low-carbon economy. Our work is essential for Hydro to reach strategic growth pillars with ambitious targets in use of post consumed scrap in our production of green aluminium products. Another key research area is to develop alloys tailormade for automotive applications, and a current focus is having solutions ready when the automotive industry transfer to electrical drivetrains accelerates globally. Integrated in our work is also the development and use of modelling tools for optimizing processes and alloys. In all our projects we work closely with our production units and sales organizations across the globe.
We are located close to other Hydro units in Sunndalsøra; Europe’s most modern Aluminium Primary Plant and Hycast, the world leading supplier of casthouse technologies. In total, we constitute a leading competence center in the global aluminium casting industry. We are seeking candidates with relevant work experience to join our team. Newly educated candidates will also be considered.
Do you desire to work with exciting research in an international, sustainable and future-oriented low-carbon company?
Area of responsibility
• As part of the Research and Development team you might be engaged in a variety to of tasks.
Some examples of potential tasks are:
- Project management. Plan, execute and lead projects.
- Development and testing of optimized/ new alloys for various applications
- Casthouse technologies development, tests and verification
- Participate in research council funded projects together with universities, institutes and industrial partners
- Contact to and cooperation with universities and institutes.
- Technical support to customers and participate in joint customer development project.
- Communicate with stakeholders
- Present R&D results through reports, webinars, publications and presentations. Disared Qualifications
• Master’s degree/PhD preferably within Metallurgy, Material Sciences, Physics, Applied Mathematics or similar
• Experience from project management, and from working with industrial process and product development.
• Experience with aluminium is an advantage
• A drive to develop new insights, products and processes and see these through to implementation
• Good communication (written and oral) and cooperation skills
• Fluency in English
Some travelling, both domestic and internationally, will be expected in this role.
Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) are integral parts of Hydro's daily work. It is our responsibility to protect the health and safety of our employees and contribute to sustainable development in the local communities in which we operate. We therefore seek employees who will contribute positively to this, through healthy and conscious HSE attitudes and actions. The appointment also requires health approval of our occupational health service.
We kindly ask you to attach all relevant diplomas and transcripts of grades with your application. We only accept electronic applications. Application letters and CVs are not received by e-mail.
In our recruiting prosesses we use Semac background check.
Apply before: 10/01/2023
If you have any questions, please contact:
Hiring managerStig Brusethaug, Head of R&D ProjectMobile: (Norway +47) 90859383