LEDIG STILLING VED SINTEF
PhD position in sustainability assessment and modelling
SINTEF er et av Europas største forskningsinstitutt, med flerfaglig spisskompetanse innenfor teknologi, naturvitenskap og samfunnsvitenskap. SINTEF er en uavhengig stiftelse som siden 1950 har skapt innovasjon gjennom utviklings- og forskningsoppdrag for næringsliv og offentlig sektor i inn- og utland. SINTEF har 2000 medarbeidere fra 75 nasjoner og en årlig omsetning på over tre milliarder kroner.
Visjon: Teknologi for et bedre samfunn.
SINTEF Industri er et oppdragsinstitutt som leverer forskningsbaserte løsninger og tjenester som skaper verdi for kunder nasjonalt og internasjonalt. Med vår flerfaglige kunnskapsbase og avanserte laboratorier som fundament, utvikler vi - i tett samarbeid med våre kunder og samarbeidspartnere - teknologi og tverrfaglige løsninger innen et bredt spekter av markeds- og fagområder.
SINTEF industry seeks candidates for a PhD position in the research area "Technology development impact on long-term sustainability"
The United Nations 2030 Agenda for Sustainable development underlines that there is an urgent need to change the way we make decisions so we can create a better, more sustainable future for everyone. An early stage assessment of the sustainability impacts of new technologies - both during the development phase as well as for industries when deciding to adopt new technologies - is important to strive to the most sustainable global outcome. While assessments of selected sustainability aspects for individual technologies exist, there still is significant need for research for a better understanding how technological change influences all 17 SDGs along global value chains.
The PhD project aims to create novel knowledge on how different characteristics such as for instance novelty, design complexity and modularity affect speed and scope of technology learning and diffusion. It is a goal that the PhD project will contribute with bringing together the technology development process, resulting technological change at the micro-, meso, and macroeconomic level, and identify subsequent impacts that these have on long-term sustainability as measured by the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) towards 2030. Sustainable energy and low-emission technologies are specifically interesting. The scientific base for this project is a combination of economic modelling of innovation diffusion and technological learning, scenario development under uncertainty, and a variety of (global) value chain models. The candidate can propose to work on the interface of, or focus on one of these aspects. The PhD project is associated with the newly started interdisciplinary project “Framework for systematic SDG impacts assessment – eaSi-system” at SINTEF.
The PhD project is part of SINTEF's prioritised research on sustainability modelling, impact assessment and decision support tools.
The PhD candidate will be employed at SINTEF Industry, Department: Sustainable Energy Technology in Trondheim and will be enrolled as a PhD student at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Department of Industrial Economics and Technology Management. In addition to supervision from the formal supervisors at NTNU, the PhD candidate will receive guidance and support from SINTEF's staff of specialists in macro-economic, and value chain modelling.
We are looking for a candidate with a relevant background in one or more of the following areas:
- Industrial economy and technology management
- Innovation studies and economics of innovation
- Econometrics, statistics
- Economic modelling, e.g. input-output analysis
- Ecological, environmental or resource economics
- Data analysis and programming
In addition, emphasis is placed on:
- Experience with and/or motivation to connect scientific work and results to applications.
- Good written and oral presentation skills in English
- Capability to work independently and proactively.
Applicants for the position is required to have completed a five-year master's degree or other equivalent education with a grade corresponding to B or better in the Norwegian grade system. We offer salary by agreement.
Funding is provided for a 3-year doctoral scholarship and the position can be filled immediately.
The application must include the following:
- A short statement explaining the experience and the interest of the candidate for the research topic and describing the relevance of the candidate’s background to the research project (maximum 1/2 page)
- A CV that includes information about education background and work experience
- Certified copies of relevant transcripts and diplomas. Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or similar documentation that describes in detail the study program, the grading system, and the rights to further studies associated with the degree obtained.
- If possible, a copy of the master thesis.
- Any relevant publications. Joint work will only be considered provided that a short summary outlining the applicant's contributions is attached.
- Contact information for two references.
Applications can be in both Norwegian and English
Applications will be assessed continuously.
Questions regarding the position:
- Vibeke Stærkebye Nørstebø (Forskningsleder), +47 99010540, [email protected]