LEDIG STILLING PÅ UNIVERSITETET I SØRØST-NORGE
PhD Research Fellow in Digital Transition of Marketing and Markets
University of South-Eastern Norway
University of South-Eastern Norway has about 18 000 students and about 1900 employees. The university is organized in four faculties, with instruction and R&D activities on eight campuses. The main profile of the university is to provide socially relevant education, geared towards specific professions, and adapted to the requirements of the workplace, as well as to produce applied research and development.
USN School of Business offers undergraduate and graduate programs in a variety of disciplines, as well as a PhD programme in Marketing Management. In addition, we have several one year study programmes and postgraduate programmes.
The USN School of Business have a vacancy for a position as PhD Research Fellow in Digital Transition of Marketing and Markets
About the position
The USN School of Business has a vacancy for a 100% position as PhD Research Fellow in Digital Transition of Marketing and Markets. The position is assigned to the Department of Business, Strategy and Political Science. The place of employment is centerally located at Campus Drammen, 40 km south-west of Oslo.
The successful candidate must qualify for enrolment in the PhD-program in Marketing Management. The position is a four-year fixed-term appointment, and commencement is from after agreement. The PhD-program in Marketing Management aims to bring academic research closer to marketing management practice, thereby focusing on topics that will generate new knowledge for real-world problems for tomorrow’s markets.
It is a requirement that the successful applicant is granted admission to the university’s doctoral programme in Markting Mangement within three months of accession in the position
For more information about the PhD-program in Marketing Management, please see here.
About the PhD-project
The PhD student will take an active role in the USN School of Business’ research program “Managing sustainable innovation through co-creation, tomorrow's marketplaces and organizations to achieve measurable social environmental and financial outcomes.”
The travel and tourism sector experiences a digital transition. The customer journey involves many industries (e.g., travel agencies, accommodation, airlines) and regions. To fully understand the customers and the industry dynamics, it is necessary to integrate data from multiple industry sources through collaboration with industry partners. The PhD project is centered around developing a big data travel and tourism sector data lab to investigate the effects of market behavior and environmental factor, such as COVID-19, on customer demand and competitors’ responses. The data lab will be a novel source of the travel sector’s roadmap to accomplish sustainability and innovativeness to transform the travel sector to the new normal towards 2030.
The project will include cooperation with Norwegian tourism partners, the umbrella organization for the 15 largest Norwegian travel enterprises. It will be co-funded by the current and upcoming Research Council projects. Current large scale projects are Innovative festival packaging and Recovery and future growth for the Norwegian travel industry.
USN has a longtime standing record of research in the interface between marketing management, travel, and tourism. The Marketing Management research group hosts the project in collaboration with the research group in Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
The applicant must be familiar with marketing, business strategy, or equivalent, and applied quantitative methods. Advanced training will be provided during the PhD program and through our international partners.
The applicant is invited to write a research proposal (4-5 pages) of his/her interests related to this topic to accompany the application, and during the first year, the PhD proposal will be further developed to constitute a plan to contribute to research in marketing management.
Applicants must hold a Master of Science degree in marketing, business, management, or equivalent. Students currently enrolled in a master's program are also welcome to apply but must have earned their degree prior to being appointed.
It is a requirement that the successful applicant is granted admission to the university’s doctoral programme in Markting Mangement within three months of accession in the position. For admission to the Programme the wighted average grade is B or higher is usually required.
Excellent command of written and spoken English is required. Proficiency in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language will be an advantage
The candidates must have the ability to cooperate with fellow students and faculty members and to work independently on academic topics
Personal suitability for the post will be emphasized.
- Close supervision by internationally publishing faculty members during the period.
- Access to arenas where you get the chance to meet world-class marketing professors
- Become involved in research projects that involve leading Norwegian and Global companies and research partners
- A professionally stimulating work environment
- Good opportunities to develop your career and your academic skills
- A good social environment
- Relevant job duties (25%) to polish teaching and project skills to qualify for attractive jobs at academic and non-academic organizations.
- A stimulating and growing research environment, with good opportunities to develop your career and your academic skills
- Attractive welfare benefits in the State Pension Plan
- Opportunity for physical activities within working hours
PhD Research Fellow (code 1017): NOK 482 200 a year. Further promotion will be based on time served in the position.
In special cases, employment in code 1378 (NOK 482 200 – 618 600 a year) may be considered.
A statutory contribution to the state pension plan will be deducted from the employee’s salary.
The Academic Appointments Board for PhD Research Fellowships is responsible for the appointment. An expert assessment of applicants will be carried out[. The candidates deemed best qualified will be invited to an interview.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post. Please note that an approved work permit is a prerequisite for employment.
According to its human resources policy, the University of South-Eastern Norway targets a balanced gender composition and aims to recruit persons with a background as an immigrant.
The University contributes to the Inkluderingsdugnaden (a voluntary scheme to promote inclusion), and it is our aim that our employees, to the fullest extent possible, shall reflect the diversity of the general population. We therefore also encourage qualified applicants with disabilities to apply for the post. The University will facilitate the workplace for employees with disabilities.
Pursuant to section 25, 2nd paragraph of the Freedom of Information Act, information on the applicant may be disclosed even if the applicant has requested not be included on the list of applicants. Applicants will be notified if such requests are not allowed.
For more information about the position:
- Professor Marit Engeset, PhD program coordinator, +47 31008945, [email protected]
- Head of department Jan Velvin, +47 31008942 [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment process:
- HR-advicer Lone Mette Solberg, phone +47 31008758, [email protected]
How to apply
The University of South-Eastern Norway makes use of online application management. Applicants to the post must register their application and CV with enclosures online via the Jobbnorge recruitment portal by clicking on the link on the right-hand side – “Søk stillingen” (Apply for the post).
The following documents shall be attached to the online application:
- An application letter, including personal suitability and motivation for the position (motivation letter, one page).
- Curriculum vitae (with full information about education, grades, prior positions, teaching experience, research and administrative experience, and a list of publications and conference presentations, if applicable).
- A research proposal for the PhD project (4-5 pages).
- The tentative proposal must include the topic for the planned PhD research, a research problem, positioning/contribution, relevant theory, research method, and a time schedule.
- In addition, applicants must upload the following documents:
- Transcripts and diplomas of Bachelor's and Master's Degrees
- two letters of recommendation
- master's thesis (if not yet finished, a one-page summary of the ongoing thesis)
- the application form for the PhD program and
- GMAT/GRE test results if your master degree is not awarded from a Norwegian or an European institution.
Please note that the motivation letter, CV, and research proposal must be written in English. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Applicants will be evaluated based on academic performance (grades from bachelor and master degrees), relevant research work, the project plan, and interview performance. Applicants are encouraged to include documentation of earlier, relevant work that shows academic potential. Applicants are encouraged to plan a stay abroad during the fellowship period.
Each applicant is responsible for ensuring that the required documentation has been uploaded with the application.
The University has been awarded a Charter & Code certificate by the European Commission, and is entitled to use the HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) logo. The University is also a member of the EURAXESS network, which contributes to good working conditions for mobile researchers.