Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral fellow within the field of technology-enhanced learning
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department of Education was established in 1938 and is one of three departments at The Faculty of Educational Sciences.
The research is based on traditions from both the social and the human sciences, and the department thus accommodates great breadth in topics and perspectives. The department employs approximately 100 people; 49 scientific staff, 35 doctoral and post-doctoral students, and 16 administrative/technical staff. The number of students is approximately 900.
The Department of Education welcomes applications for a two and a half-year position as a postdoctoral fellow within the field of learning and digital technologies. The project focuses in particular on the use of immersive technologies such as VR and AR in education.
The position is connected to the project ILASC (Immersive Learning Across School and Community). ILASC is a social innovation project financed by the Research Council of Norway and is carried out in close collaboration with the Education Agency of the City of Oslo. The methodology is design-based and the development of learning designs and activities are combined with fieldwork and detailed analysis of interaction. The overall aim is to develop innovative learning designs and models for school–community collaboration, which target the crossdisciplinary theme of Public Health and Life Competence (Folkehelse og Livsmestring) in Norwegian schools. To support learning in and across subjects, we will make use of powerful immersive technologies. The postdoctoral fellow will also participate in the activities organized by the research group LiDA (Living and Learning in the Digital Age).
We are looking for a motivated candidate who takes an interest in contributing to developing the emerging research field on the use of immersive technologies for learning. We ask the applicants to provide a 8-10 pages description of his or her research interests and how they can be aligned with the projects overall scope and design. A copy of the project proposal will be made available upon request (see contact information below). The applicant should also outline what he or she would like to focus specifically on including how this area of inquiry can be further developed within the project as a whole. A background in the learning sciences is an advantage. Experience in international publishing of high quality in relevant journals is an advantage, as is international research experience. The position offers good opportunities for advancing an internationally oriented research career. A research stay abroad during the employment period is encouraged, depending on available funding. The Research Council of Norway has a funding scheme for Postdoctoral Fellows, that in addition to a research stay abroad, also fund an extension of the fellowship period for postdoctoral fellows corresponding to the length of the stay abroad (minimum 3 and maximum 12 months).
More about the position
The appointment is a fulltime position for up to 3 years, 10 % of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching or supervision.
The main purpose of the fellowship is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
The appointment requires a PhD or a degree equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in educational sciences. A prerequisite for applicants who have not yet defended their thesis is that the thesis is submitted for assessment before the closing date for applications. Appointment to the position is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved.
Candidates will need to be proficient in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language, and to document oral and written communication skills in English.
In the assessment of the applicants, particular emphasis will be given to:
- Documented competence in the field of learning and digital technologies.
- Competence in qualitative methodology.
- The applicant’s academic and personal qualifications.
- Documented international research contributions within the area of learning and digital technologies.
- Experience with design-based research is an advantage.
- Experiences from international research collaboration is an advantage.
- salary NOK 534 400 - 615 800 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest).
- A text of 8-10 pages where the applicant comments and reflects on the project description. Here the applicant should describe and reflect on how his or her research interests aligns with the overall project, and describe in detail what the applicant would like to focus on within the overall frame of the project.
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities).
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only).
- A complete list of publications.
- Any research publications that the applicant wishes to be considered.
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number).
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. We also want to have employees with diverse expertise, combinations of subjects, life experience and perspectives. We will make adjustments for employees who require this.
If there are qualified applicants with special needs, gaps in their CVs or immigrant backgrounds, we will invite at least one applicant in each of these groups to an interview.