LEDIG STILLING VED NMBU
Postdoctoral Fellow in Public Economics
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a particular responsibility for research and education that secures the basis for the life of future generations. Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we deliver knowledge for life. NMBU has 1,900 employees of which about 300 phd scholarships and 6,700 students. The university is divided into seven faculties.
NMBU believes that a good working environment is characterised by diversity.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability, cultural background or whether you have been outside the labour market for a period. If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities. More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
About the School of Economics and Business
Our mission is to create knowledge across the fields of economics and business administration, and to develop professionals and leaders who combine an economic mindset with multidisciplinary knowledge equipped to address real-world problems with sustainability as a guiding principle.
The School of Economics and Business is one of seven faculties at NMBU. Our mission is to create knowledge across the fields of economics and business administration, and to develop professionals and leaders who combine an economic mindset with multidisciplinary knowledge equipped to address real-world problems with sustainability as a guiding principle. The School of Economics and Business offers bachelor and master programmes in Business Administration and in Economics, a master programme in Entrepreneurship, Innovation and Bioeconomy, and a PhD program in Economics and Business. These degree programmes have approximately 700 students. The School has 55 faculty and staff members and more than 40 PhD students. For more information, see here.
Do you want to help uncover how much wealth, and in particular real estate, is owned through tax havens?
About the position
The School of Economics and Business at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant postdoctoral position in public economics.
The position is full-time for two years with 100% research, or four years with 50% research and 50% teaching.
The position is part of ongoing and planned projects at Skatteforsk – Center for Tax Research at NMBU, check here.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral position is to qualify for work in high-level scientific positions. The main tasks of the candidate will be research, and optionally, teaching within the broader area of economics.
In terms of research, the applicant is expected to work on research related to tax haven use and other public economics issues, with the most time allocated to projects concerning the intersection between tax haven use and illicit finance and real estate markets, as part of an international research group. The candidate will get access to large and unique data sets and join an international research group to take part in ground-breaking research with high relevance for society and the public debate.
In terms of teaching, it could be related to the current ongoing MA-level courses BUS360 – Taxes, Inequality, and Sustainability and/or BUS362 – Corporate Tax and Sustainability, to the development of a new online course aimed at professionals (EVU) or teaching other courses in economics, as well as supervising master-students. The tentative teaching load corresponds to teaching 15 ECTS and supervising three master’s theses per year.
Required academic qualification
- A PhD degree within public economics
- Relevant experience in teaching
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Experience with publishing in academic journals
- Previous research experience in public economics, preferably on tax issues
- Proficiency in a Scandinavian language (Norwegian, Danish or Swedish)
- Insights into the institutional structures of Norwegian and other tax systems, as well as property and financial markets
- Proficiency in Stata, and preferably also R.
- Ability to access and use administrative register data, and, preferably, utilizing open source data
Required personal qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
Desired personal qualifications
- Experience with coordinating international teams working on data
- Experience with working with administrative register data, and preferably, utilizing open source data
- Experience with developing grant applications
- Experience with popular science dissemination of research insights
- Ability to develop research ideas at the research frontier
- Ability to work independently and under time pressure
- Ability to contribute to a good atmosphere within the research group
Remuneration and further information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1352 Postdoctoral Fellow, wage framework 24 (salary grade 59-77) (NOK 544. 400 - 765.600), depending on qualifications. The position follows ordinary meriting regulations.
For further information, please contact
- Professor Annette Alstadsæter, tel. +47 6723 1180, [email protected]
- Head of Research, Professor Atle Guttormsen, tel. +47 6723 1131, [email protected]
- Dean, Casper Claudi Rasmussen, tel. +47 6723 1130, [email protected]
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the ‘Apply for this job’ button above. This will route you to the University's web recruitment system, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 20. August 2022
Up to five academic papers selected by the applicant as most relevant must be attached to the application. If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work should be included.
In addition, the applicant should submit a research proposal to outline potential research plan for the duration of the postdoc period.
Printed material which cannot be sent electronically should be sent by surface mail to Norwegian University of Life Sciences, School of Economics and Business, P.O. Box 5003, NO-1432 Ås, by the application deadline. Please quote reference number 22/03507.
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.