LEDIG STILLING PÅ UNIVERSITETET I SØRØST-NORGE
Associate Professor / Assistant Professor in Systems Engineering
University of South-Eastern Norway
University of South-Eastern Norway has about 18 000 students and about 1900 employees. The university is organized in four faculties, with instruction and R&D activities on eight campuses. The main profile of the university is to provide socially relevant education, geared towards specific professions, and adapted to the requirements of the workplace, as well as to produce applied research and development.
About the Faculty and Department
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences is subdivided in six departments. We are recognised for our industry involvement and close collaboration with local communities in our region.
The Department of Science and Industry Systems at Campus Kongsberg has 56 full-time and part-time academic staff. Systems Engineering is the core discipline of our MSc-program and presents a highly attractive competence for our Industry Partners. The program includes the Industry Master students where students work half-time for a partner company as part of their three year master program. We have 65 master students under education. Most of our Systems Engineering academic staff has 10-20 years of industry experience in addition to their academic career.
Our Systems Engineering research program is positioned towards the industry needs to cope with disruptive technologies and innovation. We collaborate with a number of national and international universities. Systems Engineering, systems architecting, digitalization, sustainability and human-centered design are key areas of focus for our research. We strive to help our industry to create systems that are there for a purpose, and that create values for the company as well as for people, our society, and the environment. Our staff is internationally recognized, and nationally merited. We received the Quality in Higher Education Award in 2019 by the Norwegian Ministry of Education.
The SE Master program has more than 60 industrial partners in Norway. We are located in the city of Kongsberg that is the Norwegian center of high-tech with global players within Maritime, Energy, Defense, Aerospace, and Automotive. These companies operate in the global complex systems industry and apply Systems Engineering to realize their products and offerings. The industrial ecosystem in Kongsberg is exceptional in its breath of scope and depth of technologies, a clear benefit for professionals who believe in strong university-industry collaboration.
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences/Department of f Science and Industry Systems have a vacancy for a post as Associate Professor/Assistant Professor in Systems Engineering
About the position
The Faculty of Technology, Natural Sciences and Maritime Sciences has a vacant permanent post as Associate Professor (Førsteamanuensis/Førstelektor) or Assistant Professor(Universitetslektor) in Systems Engineering from 01.02.2021. The post relates to the Department of Science and Industry Systems and reports to the Head of Department. The place of employment is Campus Kongsberg.
We are seeking an experienced systems engineering professional for teaching and supervising master students. Participation in research projects depends on candidate background and interest.
Responsibilities and duties
Teach, supervise and further develop courses in Systems Engineering in close cooperation with the regional technology industry. This also includes developing and delivering corporate training as requested by our industry partners.
Participation in research activities depends on candidate background and interest. Research activities are performed in close collaboration with industry and international research partners. Research activities include participating in research projects, help driving our research portfolio on Systems Engineering in close collaboration with strong academic and industrial peers, and publishing results.
You may be required to carry out teaching at all levels of the educational cycle within your department, and at other departments.
For the University, distance learning and e-learning are target areas, and the candidate must therefore be able to provide supervision and teaching via digital media.
The successful candidate has:
- Higher education, at minimum a postgraduate degree (master degree or “hovedfag”)
- Minimum of 10 years of industrial experience, the broader the experience, in terms of years, responsibilities held, and international assignments, the better.
- Team working capability and good communication skills.
- Excellent work proficiency in English language. Proficiency in Norwegian is a plus.
- Preferably documented pedagogical competencies and one year’s teaching experience.
- The candidate must have the ability to work independently and at the same time have the motivation to share knowledge and take part in team work. Personal suitability for the post will be emphasised.
For appointment as an Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis), a Norwegian doctoral degree is required within the subject area or an equivalent foreign doctoral degree that has been approved as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree. Similar level of competence documented by means of scientific work of the same scope and quality can also be accepted for appointment.
Applicants not holding a doctorate may be appointed as an Associate Professor (førstelektor), if extensive research and development work is documented by the applicant. The quality and scope of this research and development work must equal the workload and level of a doctoral thesis. Special qualifications in teaching or other pedagogical activities are emphasised.
Applicants with Master degree and relevant industrial practice are encouraged to apply for the post as Assistant Professor (Universitetslektor).
Appointment as Assistant Professor requires a second cycle degree at a university, university college or equivalent, in addition to relevant research qualifications additional to a Master’s degree or subject at second degree level and/or relevant work experience. Applicants with research competence will receive priority.
When appointing an Assistant Professor, there will be an emphasis on the candidate’s wishes, motivation and plans to gain qualification for first cycle competence.
Applicants must also document educational competence in line with the guidelines in the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts.
Requirements for documentation of educational competence
Teaching at the university shall be based on research, in terms of both teaching practice and content. As such, we aim to recruit teachers who have experience from and demonstrate the motivation to focus on the development of teaching practice and the interaction between teaching and research, in order to promote learning.
In accordance with the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research post, the University of South-Eastern Norway has established requirements that applicants for the posts of Associate Professor must be able to document skills in university and university college level pedagogy, subject didactics and digital competencies.
On this basis, it is assumed that applicants can document educational skills through successfully completed university-level educational programmes of study or equivalent courses with a minimum of 200 hours of work and that they have developed fundamental skills in planning, implementing, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision at a university or university college level.
Alternatively, documentation is required to demonstrate the candidate’s own practice as a teacher, academic supervisor and educational supervisor in higher education, combined with relevant educational programmes, courses and seminars and documentation of acquired basic skills in planning, implementing, evaluating and developing teaching and supervision.
For applicants assessed primarily on the basis of their practice, there is an experience requirement within teaching, academic and educational supervision that corresponds to a portion of a full-time position in higher education corresponding to two years.
Candidates who do not meet the requirements upon hiring are obliged to meet them within two years after being hired for the position. The two-year rule does not apply when applying for a promotion.
Applicants who do not have educational qualifications of this kind may be appointed on the condition that they qualify within two (2) years. Courses in university and university college level pedagogy will be offered.
When assessing applicants, emphasis will be placed on
- Relevant industrial experience within areas of systems engineering, engineering management, technical project lead, systems architecting, product development, systems integration, industrial engineering, or operations management.
- Experience from research-driven innovation and industry collaboration
- Teaching experience and competence within Engineering domains
- Formal educational qualifications
- Professional competence and scientific production in the working area.
- Administrative experience and competence
- Personal suitability and motivation for the post
- Team work qualification
- Communication skills and language proficiency
- Exciting and educational academic environment with stimulating work.
- Individual competence plan and good opportunities for competence and career development for all employees.
- A growing academic organization with strong ties to the industry.
- Inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues.
- Good pension scheme and favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- Employee benefits, including opportunity to exercise during working hours.
Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis) (code 1011) and Associate Professor (førstelektor) (code 1198): LT 66 – 78 / kr 597 000 – 768 500.per year.
Assistant Professor (code 1009): LT 56 – 69 / kr 498 800– 630 500 per year.
Salary grade according to seniority and competence. Statutory amounts for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted from salary. The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
The appointing body is the appointments committee for teaching and research posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway. An expert committee will assess the applications. Based on the committee’s recommendations, relevant applicants will be invited to an interview and a trial lecture.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
According to our human resources policy, it is our aim that our employees, to the fullest extent possible, shall reflect the diversity of the general population. We therefore encourage all qualified candidates to apply for the post. We endeavor to further develop as an inclusive workplace and to adapt your workplace if required. You are also welcome to apply for a position with us if you have experienced periods where you have not been in employment, education or training.
Pursuant to section 25, 2nd paragraph of the Freedom of Information Act, information on the applicant may be disclosed even if the applicant has requested not be included on the list of applicants. Applicants will be notified if such requests are not allowed.
For more information about the position, please contact:
- Project Manager Silja M. Sverreson, mob +47 93 25 40 77,
- Professor Gerrit Muller, tel: +31 6 10 45 84 04, or
- Head of Department Olav Hallan Graven, mob: +47 95 85 10 10
For questions regarding the recruitment process, please contact:
- HR Karianne Wolff-Sørensen Wiken, email: [email protected]
How to apply
The University of South-Eastern Norway makes use of online application management. Applicants to the post must register their application and CV with enclosures online via the Jobbnorge recruitment portal by clicking on the link on the right-hand side - “Søk stillingen” (Apply for the post).
The following documents shall be attached to the online application:
- Certified copies of diplomas from a university college/university and certificates.
- Scientific publications (up to 10 for applicants for Associate Professor (førsteamanuensis/førstelektor)).
- List of scientific publications.
- Applicants who have completed their own university pedagogy course corresponding to a minimum of 200 hours must enclose a certificate of completed course/examination along with a curriculum plan or a description of the course and appurtenant topics/themes.
- Basic skills in planning, implementing, evaluating and developing of teaching and supervision must be documented in the form of a systematic and holistic overview.
- Other applicants must describe, assess and document their competence as teachers, mentors and educational supervisors through a systematic and holistic overview. At USN, the pedagogical portfolio is used. Please read more about the documents that should be included in the pedagogical portfolio in USN’s criteria for assessing educational competence for employment and promotion.
- Contact information for three references.
Please note that all documents must be in a Scandinavian language or in English. Any translations must be certified.
Click here to read more about the recruitment process for scientific posts at the University of South-Eastern Norway.
Each applicant is responsible for ensuring that the requested documentation has been uploaded with the application within the application deadline!