Ledig stilling ved Simula
Research Scientist and Post-doc in High-Performance Computing
Simula Research Laboratory AS
Simula Research Laboratory AS is a publicly owned research institute located at Fornebu outside of Oslo, Norway. It is a multi-cultural organization, employing about 150 individuals from 29 countries. Simula conducts ICT research in the fields of communication technology, scientific computing and software engineering. Simula's main objective is to generate new understanding and create vital knowledge about fundamental scientific challenges that are of genuine value for society. This is achieved through high quality research, education of graduate students, industry collaboration, technology transfer and commercialization.
The High-Performance Computing Department at Simula has its overall objective to enable an effective use of future-embracing hardware for advanced computations. The research subjects encompass parallel programming methodologies & software development, high-performance heterogeneous computing, and huge-scale applications of scientific computing and machine learning. The targeted hardware architectures include the last-generation CPUs and general-purpose accelerators, as well as bleeding-edge domain-specific processors. The HPC department operates a number of research projects funded by The Research Council of Norway and The European Commission. In particular, the HPC department is the host of the national e-infrastructure eX3 (https://www.ex3.simula.no) which has an extremely heterogeneous composition of processor architectures, interconnect technologies, and memory/storage solutions.
Call for Research Scientist and Post-doc in High-Performance Computing
As part of Simula Research Laboratory's strategic initiative for further boosting HPC research activities, we are now recruiting two new positions.
About the Positions
Simula Research Laboratory invites outstanding applicants for a two-year research scientist position and a two-year post-doc position, who can contribute to strengthening Simula’s existing HPC research activities and/or developing new research directions that are in line with the HPC department's overall objective. These two new positions are part of Simula’s strategic initiative for further boosting HPC research.
The starting date of both positions is January 1, 2021.
The two positions are expected to become an integral part of the HPC department. The research scientist and post-doc will carry out high-quality research activities that strengthen the ongoing research projects and/or develop new research directions in full alignment with the department’s overall objective. The two positions should also actively contribute to the forming of new research proposals for national and international funding, where the research scientist is ready to become the main driving force behind idea conception and proposal writing. The research sceintist should also share, with senior members of the HPC deparment, the responsibility of supervising the post-doc and other junior staff (if relevant).
All applicants must hold a PhD degree in computer science or computational (data) science. The applicants should also have a strong track record in scientific publication and dissemination. The applicants for the research scientist position must also have at least three years of research experience at post-doc level (or higher), as well as experience with research proposal writing.
All applicants for the research scientist position must have research expertise in at least three of the following subjects, whereas the post-doc applicants must document research expertise in at least two subjects:
- Heterogeneous parallel computing
- Domain-specific processor architectures (hardware and/or applications)
- Performance optimization and modeling
- Automated code generation
- High-performance machine learning
- High-performance interconnects
- High-performance heterogeneous memory systems
Documented knowledge/experience in the following aspects will be appreciated but not required:
- Project management
- Student supervision
- Quantum computing
- excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers;
- an informal and inclusive international working environment;
- generous support for conference travel and equipment (incl. laptop, phone and electroniccommunication subscriptions);
- opportunities to build an international network through established collaborations with industry, exchange programs, and research visits to other universities;
- modern office facilities located by the Oslo fjord and a 10-minute drive from the centre of Oslo;
- a competitive salary
- numerous benefits, such as access to company cabins, various bonus arrangements, sponsored social events, subsidized canteen meals and monthly bus pass, comprehensive travel/health insurance policy, free access to gym, etc.;
- relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc;
- administrative research support: e.g., quality assurance process for grant proposals (including RCN and EU programs);
- wellness and work-life balance: flexible work arrangements to help balance work and home life efficiently.
- Cover letter
- A research statement
- Curriculum Vitae (including a complete publication list) and contact info of at least two references
Note that all attachments must be submitted in PDF format.
To avoid misplacement, please make sure to include your first and last name in the filenames of all documents that you submit to us.
The application deadline is November 08, 2020. (Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis. The positions will be filled as soon as possible.)
Note: Applications that form a team of the researcher and post-doc positions are welcome, but will be evaluated separately.
Inquiries about the two positions can be made by email to:
Simula Research Laboratory uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.