LEDIG STILLING VED NIVA
Researcher - microalgae
Norwegian Institute for Water Research
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway's leading research institute for the aquatic environment, working across a wide range of environmental, climate and resource issues. Our high quality research is characterised by its relevance, and its holistic and interdisciplinary approach, combining research with monitoring, assessment, problem solving and consulting. The NIVA group has approximately 400 employees and is headquartered in Oslo, with branches in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, together with a marine research station in Drøbak, and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA; www.niva.no) has have a long tradition of scientific investigations using microalgae, and has privileged access to over 2000 algal strains at the Norwegian Culture Collection of Algae (NORCCA; www.niva-cca.no). In order to increase the potential for applying algae to meet the needs of the blue economy and industrial green transition, NIVA is establishing a pilot-scale algae R&D facility.
We are now looking for a Researcher to operate the new R&D facility, and to actively participate in and initiate related research. The position is located in NIVA’s main office in Oslo, but presence at NIVA Research Facility Solbergstrand, where the facility will be located, will be required on average 50 % of the time. The position will report to the Research Manager of NIVA’s Microalgae Section.
- Make contributions to the research effort and project development for the Microalgae Section at NIVA
- Conduct and complete assigned research duties
- Coordination of the algae cultivation facility (incl. HSE duties)
- Prepare and deliver research results and report
- Contribute to publishing scholarly papers and communicating research findings
- Liaison with research partners and staff in proposed research programs
- Travel to other offices/institutes and take part in field work
Qualifications and experience
We are looking for candidates with PhD and who has relevant work experience in phytoplankton biology, microalgae cultivation, algae engineering or equivalent within the biological sciences.
- Applicants will be expected to show the following abilities:
- Have hands-on, practical experience of algae cultivation, advantageously large-scale
- Have undertaken research experiments in phytoplankton biology and nutrient dynamics
- Writing research articles and reports
- Experience of at least contributing to funding applications
- A full driver’s license is required
- Fluency in a Scandinavian language is an advantage
We are looking for enthusiastic, independent, goal-oriented candidates whopossess the ability to inspire, convey ideas, and communicate well with colleagues. A positive attitude, dedication and perseverance are important abilities, as is the ability to work with complex and challenging tasks.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a leading national water science research institute with great social significance
- To be part of a network of national and international researchers
- An opportunity for professional and personal development
- A multicultural, social and creative work environment
- Good pension, welfare and insurance schemes, and competitive wages
Webcruiter ID: 4309379941
- Åse Åtland (Research Director), +47 901 47 510
- Michael Li (Research Manager), 982 94 062