AKVAPLAN-NIVA har en ledig spennende stilling!
Researcher - Acoustics
Akvaplan-niva AS is a research- and consultancy company in the NIVA- group (the Norwegian Institute for Water Research). The NIVA group consists of the NIVA foundation, and the wholly owned subsidiaries Akvaplan-niva AS, NIVA Chile and NIVA China Ltd with over 400 employees and a strong professional environment. Our main office is at Framsenteret in Tromsø with branch offices in Trondheim, Bodø, Oslo, Bergen, Alta, Ski and Reykjavik. Our research station FISK are located at Kvaløya, 20 kilometers from Tromsø.
We provide a full range of practical and cost-efficient consultancy services that address today's environmental challenges. Research is a very important part of our business, and our researchers have expertise within biology, ecology, ecotoxicology, chemistry and oceanography. Our most important customer groups are the aquaculture industry, the energy sector and various research funds. Akvaplan-niva is ISO 9001 certified and we operate our own chemical- and biological laboratories with accreditation according to approved standards. The secretariat for Arctic Frontiers in Tromsø, the annual conference discussing on sustainable development in the Arctic, is a subsidiary of Akvaplan-niva.
Akvaplan-niva has a vacancy for a permanent research position in acoustics. The hired candidate will work on projects with focus on methods for analyzing large acoustic data sets using modern techniques. Akvaplan-niva is rapidly extending its data collection capacities using autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs) and new imaging technologies and acoustic platforms. Efficient use of the growing data stream is important to enhance our understanding of the marine environment and possible impacts of human activities.
The workplace for this position will be in in our office in Tromsø or Trondheim, Norway.
- Acoustic modelling
- Broadband acoustics
- Develop research proposals
- Project management
- Reporting and publishing
- PhD with significant mathematical skills and with specialization in underwater or fisheries acoustics.
- Strong skills in acoustic modelling, e.g. analytical and numerical modelling of backscattering from marine organisms.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as a researcher.
- Excellent skills in English, both written and oral.
In addition, the following qualifications are desired and will be given weight
- Knowledge of Norwegian language will be an advantage
- Experience with Python or MATLAB
- Experience in working with broadband acoustics
- Knowledge of acoustic transducers and experience in their use
- Field work and research cruise experience
- Knowledge of marine ecosystems
- Good implementation ability
- Team player
- A challenging job in a development-oriented, flexible, and expanding company
- Teamwork with skilled colleagues in an international research and consulting environment
- Opportunity for professional and personal development
- Competitive conditions
- Flexible working hours
Webcruiter ID: 4475510749
- Anita Evenset (Department director), 99 00 15 91
- Lionel Camus (Senior researcher), 95943255