LEDIG STILLING VED UNIVERSITETET I BERGEN
Postdoctoral Research Fellow - Department of Clinical Dentistry
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are five departments and seven centres at Faculty of Medicine.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Dentistry, a full-time (100 %) position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow is available for a period of two (2) years. The position is part of the project ”Immune-driven tissue regeneration”, financed by Trond Mohn Foundation. Start date: 1st July 2022, but a later date can be considered by mutual agreement.
This project is broadly aimed at elucidating the importance of the immune cells, and the micro-environment to which they are exposed, in orchestrating successful bone tissue engineering. Transplanted mesenchymal stem cells (MSC) encounter a myriad of synchronised interactions with the recipient’s immune system and these cellular interactions that affect the efficacy of the stem cell-therapy are largely unexplored. Emerging evidence suggests adaptive immunity plays an important role in this process and needs to be understood to improve the efficacy of bone regeneration. A particular subset of the adaptive immunity, regulatory T lymphocytes (Treg), have gained interest due to their critical potential on regeneration, which remains unexplored.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated candidate, committed to this field of research who will help develop the project. As a postdoc, you will be part of an interdisciplinary national and international research team at the Tissue Engineering group under the mentorship of Researcher Salwa Suliman. The selected candidate will have good opportunities to shape their own work tasks and research contributions within the framework of the project.
About the project/work tasks:
The postdoctoral work will be utilized to advance current stem cell expansion conditions and to design next generation regenerative therapies. The project will be developed with national and international academic collaborators and consists of a series of activities built around the following research themes:
- Distinguish and identify the molecular interplay between mesenchymal stem cells and immune cells in bone tissue engineering
- Investigate the functional effects of Treg on current MSC expansion methods
- Develop small animal models and humanised immune system mouse models
- Investigate the use of functionalised scaffolds to drive immune-mediated bone regeneration
The postdoc will:
- Design and conduct high quality research in the field of immune-driven bone regeneration and lead tasks from the project and drive ideas for project deliverables
- Assist PI in providing technical guidance and mentorship to PhD students involved in the project
- Relay results in written reports, presentations and participate in dissemination of results by preparing manuscripts for peer-review
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within Immunology, Regenerative medicine, Stem cells or a relative field or have the doctoral thesis submitted prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded at the latest within 1st july.
- Experience with immune cell handling.
- Experience with multiparameter flow cytometry and/or mass/ image cytometry.
- Experience with mammalian/stem cell culture, primary and cell lines.
- Experience with singe-cell or RNA sequencing workflows and analysis.
- Experience with humanized mouse models is desirable
- Work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- Proficiency in both written and oral English
- The applicant must be motivated, responsible and have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You can not be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- Salary level 62 (code 1352/pay framework 24.6) at present NOK 563 900 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 574 700, with a medical specialization level 65 (code 1352/pay framework 24.9) at present NOK 594 300, gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- Transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of submitted doctoral thesis
- Complete list of publications
- Publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- Two referees (name and contact information)
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge
For further information please contact:
- Researcher Salwa Suliman, e-mail: [email protected] phone: +4755586356
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.