Ledig stilling ved UiT Norges arktiske universitet
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Microbiology / Molecular biology
UiT The Arctic University of Norway
UiT The Arctic University of Norway is a multi-campus research university and the northernmost university of the world. Our central location in the High North, our broad and diverse research and study portfolio, and our interdisciplinary qualities make us uniquely suited to meet the challenges of the future. At UiT you can explore global issues from a close-up perspective. Credibility, academic freedom, closeness, creativity and commitment shall be hallmarks of the relationship between our employees, between our employees and our students and between UiT and our partners.
The Faculty of Health Sciences represents a newly created entity gathering almost all possible health study programs. This facilitates an unique interdisciplinarity and innovation in health education and research. We work closely with the services in the North to solve tomorrow's challenges.
About the project
The Faculty of Health Sciences has a 3 years Postdoctoral Research Fellow available in the area of microbiology and single-cell chemical biology. The position is attached to the Department of Medical Biology and the Research group for Host-Microbe.
The successful candidate will be located at Research group for Host-Microbe Interactions and will work on a joint project combining microbiology, mammalian cell biology and chemical proteomics under supervision of two professors and one associate professor. Our research is dedicated to find determinants/targets involved in the meeting between microbe and human. We will use the obtained insights to develop innovative approaches to prevent, treat and diagnose bacterial infections. The position is funded through a grant by Centre for New Antibacterial Strategies (CANS).
- The specific aim of the advertised project is to identify bacterial targets that are dynamically regulated upon host contact using activity-based probes and validate selected targets.
- The successful applicant will employ a variety of experimental techniques including cultivation of bacterial pathogens and mammalian cells, confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, protein pulldowns and proteomics, as well as various functional assay involving bacterial survival in presence of host. The candidate will have access to core facilities at the Faculty of Health Sciences, providing state-of-the-art technology and hands-on expertise in bioimaging, FACS and proteomics.
- The candidate is encouraged to develop his/her own research ideas and strategies within the framework of the project.
- The successful applicant will work in a team with local and international collaboration partners.
- The successful applicant may contribute to the Department's teaching activities (up to 10% of the time). Teaching duties will be allocated based on the applicant's qualifications and the needs of the Department, and may include exam work, teaching seminars, and supervising or assisting in lab courses.
Further information about the position and UiT, please do not hesitate to contact:
- Professor Kristin Hegstad, Email: [email protected] Phone: (+47) 77646351 and
- Professor Mona Johannessen, Email: [email protected] Phone +47 776 46225
For appointment as Postdoctoral Fellow, the applicant requires a Norwegian doctoral degree or a corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree.
- Completion of a relevant PhD degree in microbiology/infection biology/molecular biology or related field of study is required before starting the position. Applicants who have submitted their thesis are welcome to apply.
- The candidates are expected to provide a motivation letter.
- Strong skills in microbiological and/or molecular biological techniques are expected. Previous experience with bacterial and mammalian cell cultures, confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, protein purification and pulldown assays as well as basic bioinformatics are considered highly advantageous.
- We seek a highly motivated, research-minded candidate, with a strong academic track-record.
- We are looking for a person with strong written and oral communication skills, and the ability to work analytic, independently and with collaborators. We will evaluate personal suitability and motivation for the position.
- The candidates must document proficiency in both written and oral English.
We can offer
- Interesting work tasks in a cutting-edge research project
- A vibrant international research community
- State-of-the-art research infrastructure
- Flexible working hours and a state collective agreement
- Pension scheme through the state pension fund
The position of Postdoctoral Fellow is a fixed term position for a period of 3 years. The main objective of the appointment as a post-doctoral research fellow is to qualify for work in senior academic positions. No one may be appointed to more than one fixed term period as a Postdoctoral Fellow at the same institution.
The working hours shall be utilized for research, research-related activities and research administration.
The position includes teaching or equivalent duties for UiT of (up to) a 10 % position.
The successful applicant must be willing to engage himself/herself in the ongoing development of his/her discipline and the university as a whole.
National and international trends show that mobility and independence for young researchers are important for achieving external funding at national and international level, and consequently will be important for the prospect of establishing a permanent scientific position in the future.
The following shall therefore be applicable when employed in postdoctoral positions:
- Unless special circumstances indicate otherwise, postdoctoral projects shall be planned with stays abroad (3-12 months). The duration should take into consideration the framework of the overall project.
- Postdoctoral projects must be planned so that the candidate is given sufficient opportunity to develop professional independence within the framework of the overall project.
In order to achieve a targeted use of the postdoctoral position, and to strengthen the employee’s career development, a development plan must be available no later than three months after the appointment contract is signed. The development plan must be approved by the immediate leader with personnel responsibility.
The remuneration for this position is in accordance with the State salary scale code 1352.
A compulsory contribution of 2 % to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund will be deducted.
How to apply
Application and submitted documents (see below) must be sent electronically via the application form available on www.jobbnorge.no and the application must include:
- Cover letter explaining your motivation and research interests
- CV – containing a complete overview of education, positions and academic work/list of publications
- Diplomas and transcripts of Bachelor’s and Master’s degree or equivalent (in original language and translated)
- PhD thesis and any other academic works/publications
- Two references with contact details
- Documentation on English proficiency
Proficiency in the English language can be documented in the following ways:
- Diploma from a Norwegian upper secondary school with both spoken and written English (140 hours)
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
- IELTS (International English Testing Service)
- Completed university degree in the field of English language or literature
- One year’s completed university studies in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the UK or USA, for which English was the language of instruction.
Documentation has to be in English or a Scandinavian language. We only accept applications through Jobbnorge.
The applicants will be assessed by an expert committee. The committee’s mandate is to undertake an assessment of the applicants’ qualifications based on the application documents and the text of the announcement.
The Assessment Committee will give emphasis to the potential for research, as presented in the PhD thesis or equivalent, or in any other academic works.
In the assessment, consideration may also be given to professional experience and any other activity which may be significant for the completion of the project, as well as to any pedagogical qualifications. This includes pedagogical training, teaching experience, experience of public education and experience/training of other kinds.
The applicants who are assessed as best qualified will be called to an interview. The interview shall, among other things, aim to clarify the applicant’s personal suitability for the position and motivations. A trial lecture may also be held.
In addition, applicants shall also refer to the supplementary provisions for the appointment to academic positions such as Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow and Academic Assistant at UiT, The Arctic University of Norway, and to regulations concerning terms and conditions of employment for the posts Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Research Fellow, Research Assistant and Resident.
Questions concerning the organisation of the working environment, including that of the physical state of the workplace, health services, possibilities for flexible working hours, part-time work, etc. may be addressed to the telephone reference in this announcement.
At UiT, The Arctic University of Norway, diversity is valued, and we therefore encourage all qualified applicants to apply regardless of their age, gender, functional ability or national or ethnic background. The university is an IW employer and places importance on making the necessary adaptations to working conditions for employees with disabilities.
Personal information given in an application and CV will be treated in accordance with the Act relating to the processing of personal data (the Personal Data Act). In accordance with section 25, subsection 2 of the Freedom of Information Act, the applicant may request not to be registered on the public list of applicants. However, the university may nevertheless decide to make the candidate’s name public. The applicant will receive advance notification of any such publication.
You can find more information on the website for arriving staff.
We look forward to receiving your application!