LEDIG STILLING VED UNIVERSITETET I BERGEN
PhD position (4 years) in Immune - driven bone regeneration at Tissue Engineering group
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are five departments and seven centres at Faculty of Medicine.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Clinical Dentistry, a PhD-position (100 %) is available for a period of four (4) years or max 4 months after completed the PhD-degree, if this is achieved within a shorter time than four years. The position includes 25 % required duties such as teaching, exam work or supervision, depending on the demands at the Faculty of Medicine. Starting date 1 st February.
The position is linked to the project funded by the Research Council of Norway: ‘Harnessing regulatory T cells to enhance the efficacy of mesenchymal stem cell-based bone regeneration’.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and motivated candidate. You will be part of an interdisciplinary national and international research team. The position includes a possibility of a research stay abroad.
About the project/work tasks:
This project is broadly aimed at elucidating the importance of the immune cells, and the micro-environment to which they are exposed, in orchestrating successful stem-cell based bone tissue engineering. Emerging evidence suggests adaptive immunity plays an important role in this process and needs to be understood in order to improve the efficacy of bone regeneration. A particular subset of the adaptive immunity called regulatory T lymphocytes (Treg) have gained interest due to their critical potential on endogenous regeneration, which remains unexplored. This functional communication between the implanted mesenchymal stem cells and Treg will be utilized to advance current stem cell expansion conditions and to design next generation regenerative therapies. The candidate will work on one of the research themes of the project:
- investigate the use of nanoparticle functionalised scaffolds to drive immune-mediated bone regeneration
- distinguish and identify the molecular interplay between mesenchymal stem cells and immune cells in bone tissue engineering
- investigate the functional effects of Treg on current MSC expansion methods
- develop small animal models and humanised immune system mouse models to study the impact of immune cells on transplanted MSC-construct
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- the applicant must hold a master`s degree or equivalent in immunology, regenerative medicine, cell/stem cell biology, biomedical sciences or a related field
- experience from relevant research projects will be considered positively
- candidates with strong laboratory skills in molecular and cellular immunology (especially isolation and expansion of regulatory T lymphocytes), flow and/or mass cytometry, stromal cell culture, immunoflorescence staining, nanomaterials and/or work with experimental animals are encouraged to apply
- the candidate should be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- the applicant must be fluent in oral and written English
Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT whether the education (bachelor and master degree) in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see here for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. The review from NOKUT may take some time and the application should be sent to NOKUT as soon as you have decided to apply for the position. If no answer within the application deadline, you may enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application.
About the PhD position (applies to university PhD positions):
Organized research training (PhD program): The candidate must take part in the University of Bergen approved PhD programme leading to the degree within a time limit of 3 years. You must have admission to the organized research training (PhD program) at the Faculty in order to qualify for the position. Application for admission to the PhD programme, including a project plan outline for the training plan must be submitted no later than three months after the date of commencement.
PhD-positions are fixed term positions. You cannot be employed in a PhD-position for more than one fixed term period at the same institution or have had similar employment at an institution in the region.
We can offer:
- exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- salary at pay grade 54 (code 1017/pay framework 20.10) NKR 491 200 before taxes, in the state scale. Further increases in salary will be based on seniority in the position. For applicants with at least one year of employment in a position as a General Practitioner or Dentist, salary level 56 NKR 507 600. Medical specialist start on wage level 59 NKR 534 400
- enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- certified copies of diplomas and transcripts of grades. Applicant whose education is from another country than Norway, need to also attach a certified translation of the diploma and transcript of grades to English or a Scandinavian language, if the original is not in any of these languages. It is required that the applicant enclose a review from NOKUT (both bachelor and master degree) whether the education in question is of a scope and level that corresponds to the level of a Norwegian master’s degree. Please see here for more information about NOKUT’s general recognition. This may take some time and we recommend you to apply as soon as you know you will apply for this position. If no answer within the application deadline, please enclose documentation from NOKUT that they have received your application
- documentation of language skills (English)
- complete list of publications and scientific work you want to be evaluated
- any publication in your name
- two referees (name and contact information)
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
- Researcher Salwa Suliman e-mail: [email protected]: phone:+47 55 58 63 56
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
(In the call for applicants and for employment in position groups in which the percentage of women is below 40 per cent, the University of Bergen must apply a moderate gender quota scheme. This category of position involves including in the advertisement text that women are especially encouraged to apply. The following text shall therefore be included in the job advertisement: "We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply").
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.
For further information about the recruitment process, click here.