LEDIG STILLING VED SIMULA
Senior Research Scientist / Research Scientist in Data Science
Simula Research Laboratory AS
[email protected] is a recently established research center organized under the Department of Data Science at BI. The center is a collaboration between Simula and BI, and conducts applied and fundamental research in data science, with particular focus on applications in the intersection between business and data science.
Simula is a publicly owned research lab located in Oslo, Norway. Simula’s mission is to solve important and fundamental problems of science and engineering, with the main goal of benefiting and advancing society. We do this by concentrating on five select research areas in ICT and performing excellent research, by developing our people, and by spinning out applicable results into profitable startups.
Learn more about working at Simula: careers at Simula.
Simula Research Laboratory AS (Simula) will be hiring a permanent senior research scientist / research scientist to help build up our capacity in applying machine learning / data science to problems in social science. The successful candidate will be employed at Simula, and will be expected to help strengthen our new collaboration with BI Norwegian Business School (BI) which is organized through the research center [email protected]. The position is a full time research position with the possibility for teaching if the successful candidate is interested.
- Conduct excellent research and supervision at the intersection between computer science and social sciences with particular emphasis on applications in business and economy.
- Disseminate research results through scientific research papers suitable for submission to peer-reviewed venues of high international quality.
- Contribute to Simula’s development of the field by establishing new research projects based on proposals to obtain sponsored research funding.
- Actively contribute to the recently formed [email protected] collaboration with the Department of Data Science and Analytics at BI.
- Contribute to the design, collection and curation of relevant datasets.
- Completed doctoral degree in a relevant research field, in particular in Computer Science, Informatics, Information & Computer Engineering, Data Science, Mathematics, Economics, or Statistics. The work underlying the degree should have a particular focus on data science.
- Relevant research experience.
- Excellent communication skills, including fluently spoken and written English.
It is beneficial with experience within one or more of the following domains:
- Proven interest in the analysis of human behavior or in topics of social relevance.
- Experience from current subfields of machine learning, such as natural language processing, graph neural networks or scientific / physics-guided machine learning.
- Programming skills in Python and/or Julia.
- Experience with writing scientific publications in high caliber journals.
- Ability and interests to develop new projects and attract external funding.
- Previous participation in the organization of scientific events or other voluntary activities is a plus.
- Excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers
- An informal and inclusive international working environment.
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits with other universities, and funding to attend conferences.
- Modern office facilities located centrally in Oslo.
- A competitive salary.
- Numerous benefits: access to company cabins, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone and subscriptions), subsidized canteen meals, comprehensive travel insurance policy, etc.
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc.
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being is a priority and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently.
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- A cover letter explaining the candidate’s background, qualifications, research interests and how/why the candidate is qualified for the position;
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and academic or industrial work, scientific publications);
- List of publications;
- Academic transcripts;
- Contact information of two references.
Application deadline: open
Candidates will be continuously screened and interviewed. The position is open until the position has been filled. Flexible start date, as soon as possible.
Additional enquiries regarding the position can be addressed to:
- Ada Johanne Ellingsrud: [email protected]
Simula Research Laboratory uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.