Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Senior Researcher or Researcher in European Studies
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
ARENA Centre for European Studies is a research centre under the Faculty of Social Sciences. ARENA promotes theoretically oriented, empirically informed studies analysing the dynamics of the evolving European political order. The research at ARENA is multidisciplinary and is organised along four key dimensions: A European democratic order; the EU's executive order; expertise and knowledge in the EU; and European foreign and security policy. ARENA hosts several nationally and internationally funded research projects and is engaged in a series of international networks.
About the position
ARENA Centre for European Studies at the University of Oslo (UiO) invites applications for a permanent position as Senior Researcher (SKO 1183) or Researcher (SKO 1109) in European Studies, including political science, sociology, economics or other relevant social science fields.
ARENA Centre for European Studies is a multidisciplinary research centre at the University of Oslo, studying the direction, dynamics and sustainability of the evolving European political order. The Centre has conducted research on political, economic, legal and social integration, transformation and cooperation in Europe since 1994. As a member of the ARENA team, you will be part of a professional research centre with extensive experience in coordinating international research projects and networks financed by European and Norwegian research funding institutions. More information about ARENA is available at www.arena.uio.no
ARENA is seeking a new colleague who fits the following profile:
- You are determined to publish top quality research about the evolving European political order to an international academic audience
- You are highly skilled in applying advanced social science research methods
- You are motivated by disseminating and promoting your research to a broader public
- You are willing to contribute to ARENA's ongoing research as well as develop your own research agenda in European studies, including developing new research projects funded by European and Norwegian research funders.
- Candidates must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree (PhD) in a relevant discipline within the social sciences before taking up the post
- To be appointed as Researcher in code 1183 the candidate must fulfill criteria for professorship (please see Scientific Qualification Requirements for Promotion to Professor, refer only to scientific qualifications)
- Strong merits with regards to international research publications is a requirement
- Strong merits with regards to social science research methods is a requirement
- Merits with regards to research dissemination is an advantage
- Merits with regards to external project funding is an advantage
- ARENA’s working language is English. Fluent oral and written communication skills in English are therefore required.
We aim to increase the diversity of backgrounds in our staff, and we especially encourage female researchers to apply.
- Salary of NOK 728 100 - 935 300 depending on competences as researcher in position code SKO 1183, equivalent to professor competence, and salary of NOK 604 400 – 790 100 per annum depending on competencies in the position as researcher (position code SKO 1109)
- An academically stimulating and international research environment combined with a friendly and inclusive work environment
- A good work-life balance and access to Norway's excellent public services and welfare schemes, including generous parental leave provisions and affordable and accessible childcare
- Attractive welfare benefits, including a generous pension agreement
- Funding for research expenses
- The city of Oslo: A unique mix of vibrant city life and extraordinary nature with rich opportunities for cultural and outdoor activities.
Information for international applicants
Choosing a career in a foreign country is a big step. To give you an idea of what we and Oslo have to offer in terms of benefits and life in general for you and your family/spouse/partner, please visit:
How to apply
The online application must include the following items:
- A cover letter of 1000 words maximum (approx. 2 pages). The letter should consist of four paragraphs in the following order:
a) a short presentation of yourself,
b) a short presentation of your merits,
c) a short presentation of your intended research and
d) a short account of why ARENA is of interest to you
- An outline of your proposed research agenda in the short, medium and longer term. 2500 words maximum (approx. 6 pages), excluding bibliography
- A CV summarizing your education, previous positions, research experience, administrative experience, and other qualifying activities.
- A complete list of publications
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- Copies of what you consider to be your three most important publications to date
- Names and contact details of two reference persons (name, relation to candidate, e-mail, and phone number). Reference letters are not needed at this stage.
The application with attachments must be submitted in our electronic recruiting system. Please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Pursuant to section 25(2) of the Freedom of Information Act, information concerning the applicant may be made public, even if the applicant has requested not to appear on the list of applicants.
The University of Oslo has a transfer agreement with all employees that is intended to secure the rights to all research results etc.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.