Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Blindern og Urbygningen (Foto: Wikimedia og Colourbox)
Postdoctoral Fellow in avian ecology; species distribution, phenology and abundance modelling
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Biosciences (IBV) is one of nine departments at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Research in the department is organised in five sections covering topics within biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, cell biology, genetics, aquatic biology, toxicology, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Education across these topics is offered for around 350 bachelor, 250 master, and 120 PhD students. With 52 permanent professors/associate professors, post-docs, researchers, technical, and administrative personnel, the Department has a total staff of 340 from more than 30 different countries. The Department aims to maintain high international standards within both research and teaching. The new bachelor program in bioscience is the first of its kind to include programming and computational modelling as core elements.
Position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow available at the Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo, Norway.
Starting date no later than October 1, 2023.
The appointment is a fulltime position for a period of four years, 25 % of which is devoted to duties (usually in the form of teaching activities).
The position will be affiliated with the Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES), Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo.
The candidate will analyze long-term data from citizen science databases and bird observatories in Scandinavia, with the aim of understanding the causes of changes in bird population abundance, phenology and distributions. The candidate is also expected to take a leading role in developing a passive acoustic monitoring system for birds (during breeding and migration), in collaboration with colleagues at the Department of Technology Systems (DTS), University of Oslo.
We seek candidates with a strong background in statistical modelling and may offer a joint affiliation with the Department of Mathematics (DM), University of Oslo. The candidate will work in close collaboration with Torbjørn Ergon (project PI at CEES), Ida Scheel (DM), Paal Englestad (DTS) and Øyvind Kure (DTS). The candidate is also encouraged to maintain and seek external collaboration.
During the fall semester of 2023 and spring semester of 2024, the project PI will be based at Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, on a research Sabbatical, and the postdoctoral candidate is expected to spend much (or all) of this time at Cornell to interact with the PI.
The candidate is expected to take a leading role in writing scientific papers as well as other dissemination activities, and will be involved in supervision of MSc-students and field technicians.
More about the position
As part of the 25% duty component, the postdoctoral fellow is expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency through coursework/seminars. Teaching can be done in English or a Scandinavian language.
A stated aim of postdoctoral fellowships at University of Oslo is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a top scientific position within or outside of academia. To support their strategic career development, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral position.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected accordingly, and are expected to be in the upper segment of their field with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in a natural science discipline. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral dissertation are eligible for appointment.
- The successful candidate should have a strong background in statistical modelling, and a keen interest in modelling and understanding ecological processes. A good prior knowledge of bird populations is desirable, and the candidate is expected to stay updated on relevant ecological and methodological literature. Good generic skills in data science (including programming skills and knowledge of machine learning tools) will be considered as a strong advantage.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required, and a proven ability to publish high quality publications in scientific journals is a highly valued asset. Interests and skills in dissemination and public outreach of research results on e.g. web-pages is an advantage. Interests and experience in teaching is desirable.
We seek a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hard-working candidate. Applicants must have good interpersonal skills and be willing to work in close collaboration with other members of the team. The applicant must also be able to work independently.
- Salary of NOK 544 400 – 626 300 per year depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Application letter including a statement of motivation, a summary of academic and scientific background and interests, a summary of qualifications for the position, and a statement of teaching interests and skills.
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcripts of records
- A complete list of publications and a commented list (including a summary of the study and information about the candidates role) of up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
If an applicant has applied for and been granted funding for a fulltime research stay abroad while being employed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, the employment will be prolonged with the equivalent time as the research stay, but for no longer than of twelve months (thus extending the employment to a maximum of four years)
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition.
Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives. If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
For further information please contact: Torbjørn Ergon on e-mail: [email protected]
For questions regarding Jobbnorge, please contact HR Adviser Nina Holtan, e-mail: [email protected]
Apply for this job