Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Senior Engineer: DevOps engineer / system administrator / system developer - Centre for Bioinformatics
About the position
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The Department of Informatics (IFI) is one of nine departments belonging to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. IFI is Norway’s largest university department for general education and research in Computer Science and related topics.
The Department has more than 1400 students on bachelor level, 600 master students, and over 240 PhDs and postdocs. The overall staff of the Department is close to 370 employees, about 280 of these in full time positions. The full time scientific staff is 75, mostly Full/Associate Professors.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
A position as Senior Engineer within bioinformatics is available for three years for a DevOps engineer / system administrator / system developer. The position is located within the Centre for Bioinformatics at the University of Oslo (hosted by the Department of Informatics. The starting date will be from January 1, 2020 or as soon as possible thereafter.Working languages are Norwegian and English.
The work will support the scientific activities within the newly formed Centre, both supporting activities of the scientific groups, and supporting the infrastructure activities of the center, that also include the ELIXIR project.
ELIXIR is the European research infrastructure, and there is a Norwegian node of the this research infrastructure. The Oslo sub-node of the national infrastructure is hosted within the Center for Bioinformatics, and provides bioinformatics services to all users in the Oslo region, with an emphasis on the biomedical community, and in alignment with the Helse Sør-Øst Bioinformatics Core Facility. Other relevant infrastructure activity includes work towards data management, international data sharing in both Nordic and European contexts, and furthering of ongoing AI and machine-learning initiatives to support the Centre.
Activities will include participation in computational operations of the Centre, including service-level administration/operation on varied hardware platforms hosted by the University Center for Information Technology (USIT) as well as national offerings.
Relevant platforms include:
- TSD: Services for Sensitive Data (https://www.uio.no/tsd)
- Secure project VMs and HPC compute cluster for analysis of sensitive data
- Saga (https://documentation.sigma2.no/quick/saga.html)
- General HPC cluster
- UH-IaaS (http://www.uh-iaas.no/)
- OpenStack-based cloud infrastructure
- NIRD: National e-Infrastructure for Research Data (https://www.sigma2.no/content/nird-toolkit)
- Kubernetes-based analysis platform
- Dedicated servers
The job will also include varied developmental tasks, on a per-project basis, in areas such as:
- Database and front-end web sites / REST APIs
- DevOps automation (e.g., continuous integration/deployment)
- Research software, in Python, R, Java or similar
- Data sharing infrastructures
- Analysis workflow frameworks (e.g., Galaxy, http://usegalaxy.org)
The successful candidate will be expected to be embedded with the service team, as well as to undertake development tasks in coordination with the Elixir.no/Bioinformatics core facility infrastructures.
We are seeking a candidate with a Masters degree in computer science / system administration. The candidate should have solid experience in DevOps and Linux system administration, in addition to general development experience. Preferably the candidate should also have some leadership experience.
Relevant competence areas:
- Thorough experience administrating Linux servers, as well as traditional and cloud-based VMs, and Docker
- Development using BASH, Make, GCC, Autotools, etc.
- Command line know-how and trouble-shooting experience
- Experience with security setup (SSH, SSL certificates, etc.)
- Web servers (Apache)
- File system setup, specifically experience with the CernVM File System
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Version control (Git / GitHub)
- Continuous integration/testing/deployment (Jenkins, GoCD, Travis, …)
- Package distribution (PYPI, BioConda, …)
- General front-end development (Web, REST APIs, etc)
- Database admin and development (Postgresql, …)
- A firm grip of Python (preferably), Java, and other high-level programming languages
- Solid experience with clean coding principles
- Excellent communication skills in English, both oral and written.
- Being self-driven and having the ability to work independently, as well as being a team player
- The position is placed in position code 1364, Senior Advisor, salary NOK 573 100 – 627 700 per year depending on qualifications.
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
How to apply
The application must include:
- Application letter
- CV (Complete overview of education, work experience and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- letters of recommendation
- list of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
In accordance with the University of Oslo’s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results.
- Centre leader, Professor Eivind Hovig, by email: [email protected], or by phone +47 93069881
For technical questions about the recruitment system, HR Adviser Torunn Standal Guttormsen, email: [email protected], tel. +47 22 85 42 72