LEDIG STILLING VED NORD UNIVERSITET
Phd Fellowship (3 year) within ecotoxicology - Ecological impacts of salmon farming
Through research, education and social engagement, Nord University contributes to the creation of a sustainable future.
In cooperation with society, business and industry in Northern and Central Norway, our 11,500 students and 1,350 staff promote innovative solutions and knowledge-based practice, both locally and internationally.
Nord University has four strategic focus areas: blue and green growth, sustainable innovation and entrepreneurship, societal security, and health, welfare and education.
Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture (FBA) educates people with the aim of promoting sustainable and innovative development to meet global challenges in food production, climate and environment. The faculty is an international arena for education, research and knowledge dissemination, with employees and students from 31 different countries. The faculty offers a PhD in Aquatic Biosciences. FBA has 900 students and 165 employees in Bodø and Steinkjer. The professional community is organised into the following divisions: Aquaculture, Ecology, Genomics and Animal Science, Production and Welfare and Algae and microbial biotechnology.
Read more: www.nord.no/en/fba
About the position
A three-year PhD fellowship in ecology/ecotoxicology is available at the Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture, Nord University (Bodø, Norway) from October 1st. 2022.
FBA invites applications from outstanding candidates for a three-year PhD fellowship within the project: “Ecological impacts of salmon farming - establishing scavenging amphipods as deep-water species for environmental monitoring”. The project aims to develop basic biological knowledge about two common deepwater amphipod species found in Norwegian fjords, and to conduct exposure experiments with these species and contaminants associated with salmon farming.
The position is to be located in Bodø.
- At the time of taking up the appointment, the candidate should have completed an MSc degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline, namely ecotoxicology, molecular biology, marine biology or ecology. The grades at the qualifying MS examination needs to be B or better (ECTS scale from A-E)
- The PhD will be in charge of planning and conducting field and laboratory experiments, analyze data, and search for biomarkers of contaminants associated with salmon farming. Hands-on experience in conducting field or laboratory experiment, fish physiology, transcriptomics, and bioinformatics are advantageous for the position
- Analytical skills and good knowledge about research methods relevant to the proposed project
Proficiency in oral and written English is essential and knowledge of a Scandinavian language is beneficial for the position
The candidate should fulfill the admission requirements and participate in the training component stipulated in regulations of the PhD program.
Application for admission to the program must be submitted within three months after taking up the position. For admission requirements and regulations, see our web page
Qualified applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Themes and perspectives from the applicant's master's degree will be given weight in the assessment of candidates. Project sketch with description of project idea and plan for implementation
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
- The applicant's description of motivation for doctoral work and opportunities for implementation. Relevant experience from research work will count positively
- The applicant's motivation to apply for the position
The annual salary for doctoral researchers (code 1017) is set at wage level 54, LR 20, NOK 491 200,- in the Norwegian State Salary Scale.
- Advantages within the Government Pension Fund for borrowing, insurance and pension.
- Creative and collegial working environment
- A workplace with steady progressive development
- Flexible working hours
- Active university sports team
The person who is appointed must abide by the applicable laws, agreements, and directives. The responsibilities and duties associated with the position may change with future reorganization at Nord University.
The public sector workforce is expected to reflect the diversity of the population in general. Nord University therefore encourages qualified candidates with disabilities, gaps in their CV, immigrant backgrounds or different life experience to apply. Nord University practices moderate allocation according to gender quotas in accordance with the Basic Agreement for State Employees.
If applicants indicate they have disabilities or gaps in their CV, their details may be used anonymously for the purposes of governmental annual review
Further information about the position can be obtained by contacting :
- Professor Pål Olsvik, ([email protected])
Applicants will be evaluated by an internal expert committee. Relevant applicants will be invited for an interview, trial lecture or other presentations.
The Faculty reserve the right not to hire applicants who may be scientifically qualified but who do not meet other criteria such as language, educational background or personal characteristics
Applications must be submitted electronically by 15.06.2022.
The application should include:
- Cover letter outlining the candidate’s motivation and suitability for the position.
- Description of the project idea, (maximum 2 pages), based on the teme of the announced position, including the theoretical basis and intended methodology.
- A complete CV (education, work experience and publications, maximum 2 pages).
- Certified copies of academic degree transcripts for academic degrees (both bachelor and master degree) and other relevant qualifications
- Other activity that is considered relevant, such as list of publications and academic work
- Contact details for at least two referees
Names and contact details of 2 referees (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
- Signed consent form PhD (if relevant)
All documents must be uploaded as attachments to the electronic application form.
It is the applicant's responsibility to submit the complete documentation within the deadline.
After the application period has expired a list of applicants will be published. Note that, in special cases, the identity of particular applicants to a position may be made public even when that applicant has requested that their application be processed confidentially. Applicants requesting an exemption from publication of their identity must explain their reasons for doing so in their application. In this case, advance notice will be given in the event of a decision to make any information about the applicant public.