LEDIG STILLING VED NMBU
PhD scholarship within seaweed processing
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a particular responsibility for research and education that secures the basis for the life of future generations. Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we deliver knowledge for life. NMBU has 1,800 employees of which about 250 phd scholarships and 6,000 students. The university is divided into seven faculties.
NMBU believes that a good working environment is characterised by diversity.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability, cultural background or whether you have been outside the labour market for a period. If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities.
More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
About The Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science
The Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science (KBM) employs about 160 people. Currently about 50 PhD students are enrolled into our PhD program. KBM represents a broad range of scientific fields encompassing basic natural sciences such as microbiology, chemistry, biochemistry as well as the application of these towards food chemistry, technology and safety, biotechnology, bioprocessing and environmental issues. The Faculty is responsible for education, research and information within our fields of expertise and also has state-of-the-art instrumentation to perform research within these fields. KBM collaborates in networks and research projects both nationally and internationally.
Further information here.
“Do you want to work with valorization of seaweed?”
About the position
The Faculty of Chemistry, Biotechnology and Food Science (KBM) at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has vacant a 3-year PhD position.
The position is part of the Norwegian Seaweed Biorefinery Platform, a national platform for research on valorization of seaweeds, funded by the partners and the Research Council of Norway. For further information, see this link.
Important tasks will be:
- Analysis of fucoidan and degradation products
- Expression and production of fucoidan-active enzymes
- Enzyme activity assays
- Use enzymes as tools for fucoidan valorization
- Write and publish a PhD thesis and scientific publications
The successful applicant must meet the conditions defined for admission to one of the PhD programs at NMBU. A master's degree of at least 120 credits (ECTS) is required, which is based on a bachelor's degree of at least 180 credits (ECTS), or cand.med.vet. degree, or integrated master's degree of at least 300 credits (ECTS). The applicant must have a documented strong academic background from previous studies, and be able to document good English skills, both written and oral. For more detailed information on admission criteria, see the PhD Regulations and the “supplementary provisions for the PhD programmes”.
The applicant must document expertise and interest in the research subject.
Required Academic qualifications
- Master degree in biotechnology
- Training and experience in enzymology
- Experience with carbohydrate analysis
The following experiences and skills will be emphasized:
- Experience in handling seaweed biomass and/or seaweed carbohydrates
- Experience with applied enzymology
- Analytical competences regarding carbohydrates (e.g. HPLC, MALDI-TOF, C-Page, NMR)
- Student/research exchange abroad
- Training and experience in cloning and enzyme production
- Training in bioinformatics
We are looking for a candidate who is ambitious, curious and motivated to do a PhD in a strong research environment. The ideal candidates will combine (and be able to document) the following personal qualities:
- Hard-working, ambitious and accurate.
- Creative and independent
- Genuinely interested in scientific research and its industrial applications.
- Good social and collaborative skills
- Good communicative skills, orally and written, in English and preferably in a Scandinavian language. English language skills must be documented.
- Good practical skills
Remuneration and further information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1017 PhD Fellow. PhD Fellows are placed in pay grade 54 (NOK 491.200) on the Norwegian Government salary scale upon employment and follow ordinary meriting regulations.
Employment is conducted according to national guidelines for University and Technical College PhD scholars.
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
In the application, the candidate must confirm that information and documentation (in the form of attachments) submitted via the job application can also be used by NMBU in a possible admission process.
Application deadline: 15.09.2021
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- Motivation letter
- Complete CV
- Diplomas/certificates (i.e. Diploma, transcript. Diploma supplement for both bachelor and master). (Diplomas, transcripts and diploma supplements that are not in Norwegian or English must be uploaded in the original language. An English translation of these documents must also be attached.)
- Documentation of proficiency in written and oral English
- Names and contact details for two references
- Additional relevant documentation of professional knowledge (for example, list of scientific works)
- Applicants invited for an interview are expected to present original diplomas and certificates.