LEDIG STILLING VED NIVA
PhD position for algae bioremediation study
We are seeking a highly qualified, ambitious and motived candidate for microalgae bioremediation study at the Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA).
The position is available from 1st Oct 2021 for a fixed-term period of 3 years.
Norwegian Institute for Water Research
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway's leading research institute for the aquatic environment, working across a wide range of environmental, climate and resource issues. Our high quality research is characterised by its relevance, and its holistic and interdisciplinary approach, combining research with monitoring, assessment, problem solving and consulting. The NIVA group has approximately 400 employees and is headquartered in Oslo, with branches in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar and Copenhagen, together with a marine research station in Drøbak, and subsidiaries in Tromsø, Chile and China
This position is hosted by the Microalgae Research Section at NIVA, and will be registered in the postgraduate education program at the Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo (UiO).
This PhD project will focus on the algae bioremediation study in the ALGECO project, funded by Norwegian Research Council. We offer opportunities to study the physiological properties of microalgae and the potential symbiotic potentials in wastewater treatment process, both on laboratory fundamental study and pilot practical testing.
This position will be primarily based in NIVA’s Oslo office, and the microalgae research laboratory at UiO, Department of Biosciences, AQUA section. Some of the research activities will be conducted at NIVA’s Alga R&D Facility at Solbergstrand, and the algae research laboratory at NIBIO.
The main objectives
The PhD candidate will work with the algae research team in the ALGECO to elaborate the algae bioremediation potentials for wastewater treatment.
The main research activities will include:
- Mimic natural algae appearance and investigate the potentials of polyculture cultivation
- Investigate the potential metabolic complementary of algae-microbe during wastewater bioremediation process
- Optimise the algae productivity and wastewater purification process
Qualifications and experience
- The applicants need to hold a Master’s degree in algal biology, marine or freshwater biology or ecology, microbiology, aquatic biotechnology or the equivalent in the Biological Sciences (at grade B or above at the Master’s level according to Norwegian standards)
- Experience with algal or bacterial culturing, and general biological or chemical labwork is desired
- 1-2 years experience within relevant field is an advantage
- Proficiency in oral and written English. Knowledge of Norwegian is advantageous but not a prerequisite
The candidate needs to be proactive, independent, creative and cooperative, with a will to work in an international and multicultural environment in a broad scientific research group. Good communication and inter-personal relations skills, as well as ability to conduct good teamwork and sharing of resources are important.
- Exciting and stimulating tasks in a leading national water science research institute with great social significance
- To be part of a network of national and international researchers
- An opportunity for professional and personal development
- A multicultural, social and creative work environment
All applicants needs to submit: application letter, CV, and certificates for their education with grades.
Webcruiter ID: 4400403913
Michael LiResearch Manager +47 982 94 062Bente EdvardsenProfessor +47 470 31 602