Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Full-stack developer - ML/DL/AI, GPU accelerated computing
About the position
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The University Center for Information Technology (USIT) provides infrastructure, IT services and IT solutions for both the University of Oslo and the higher education sector in Norway. USIT is one of the largest IT professional environments in Norway, with more than 200 permanent employees and with a turnover of more than 260 million NOK. We work with a wide range of exciting technical solutions based on future-oriented technology. USIT places great emphasis on providing its employees with challenging and educational tasks that provide excellent opportunities for professional development. The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to UiO.
We are looking for a full-stack developer, with AI/ML competence and special interest in training, to work in close collaboration with researchers. You want to develop advanced IT tools to extract, process and analyse various data, as well as develop and teach course material within AI/ML.
You have the ability to dig into complex research topics and develop services, in collaboration with others, to enable and optimize the research processes. Persons with competency in development tools such as Python, R and (No)SQL as well as knowledge in machine learning and artificial intelligence is highly sought after among UiO’s researchers. The University of Oslo’s Center for IT (USIT) is gradually setting up and expanding this part of its activities. Relevant projects at the moment includes, but is not restricted to Norwegian AI Cloud (NAIC), Elixir, EU DIGITAL programme project BIOINT and many more.
This is a permanent position at the Department for Research Infrastructure (FI) in the Division of IT in Research (ITF) at USIT. USIT is in a process of reorganization and which department the position belongs to may change.
USIT in 1 minute: Video (Norwegian)
From day one you will be tasks within the following topics and projects:
- Operations and maintenance of the Federated European Genome-Phenome Archive (https://ega.elixir.no/)
- Participation in the EU project BIOINT (BIO Network for Training) with focus on developing course material with a particular focus on GPU/ML/AI/DL computing for Life Sciences.
- Being part of the AI team, covering AI/ML/DL strategy, GPU support, training and outreach for NAIC, Sigma2, USIT and Software Carpentry / Code Refinery.
- Central role in user support for HPC and AI
- Organize and conduct training courses
- Internal and external service documentation
You might also get involved in other topics as development of the AI-parts of Educloud and TSD, OpenStack and/or Kubernetes based computing.
Most of the tasks will be caried out as part of smaller teams. The position does not have a large extend of 1.line support, but there will be some 2.line support with focus on AI/ML. For senior engineers, tasks might also include project lead/coordination within their area of expertise. The tasks will change over time since research support is very dynamic and needs frequently changing.
- Higher education, minimum Master’s level, Phd level encouraged - can be compensated for by documented relevant work experience
- Experience with AI/ML/DL, either as a user or as an operator
- CUDA experience or OpenGL, openWebGL etc
- Work experience with Python or R
- Interest in Data Science
- Teaching experience at University level
- Good programming competence
- Understanding and competency within system development and integrations
- Competence within virtualization, containers and use of this in a scientific computing
- Competence with visualization
- Fluent English, both oral and written
- A well written and motivated letter of application
The following aspects will be considered in addition to the requirements:
- Own research experience or relevant experience from research groups
- Experience with documentation of IT-based research services
- Experience with building/running GPU-enabled applications
- Experience with version control
- Knowledge of building, installation and use of scientific software
- Knowledge of Singularity, Docker, Ansible, OpenStack, Terraform, Kubernetes, Easybuild
- Good references
- Ability to work independently, to collaborate, coordinate with colleagues and motivate them
- Ability to access new knowledge and understand complex problems
- Service oriented attitude
- Good communication skills in connection with researchers and students, both written and oral
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
- Exercise during work hours
- Position will be a senior-engineer (1181) with a salary level in the range of [650.000-780.00]NOK.
How to apply
The application must include:
- cover letter statement of motivation
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work)
- copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
The application (evt.) with attachments must be delivered in our recruiting system.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The recruitment is carried out in accordance with the principles of the Civil Service Act (Statsansatteloven), and legislation that regulates the export of knowledge, technology and services.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition.
Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
- Assistant Director USIT Gard Thomassen at 93674926, [email protected]