Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Blindern og Urbygningen (Foto: Wikimedia og Colourbox)
Neuroscience Lab Engineer
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department of Psychology is one of seven units of the Faculty of Social Sciences, and has 75 permanent and 70 temporary members of scientific staff. Degrees are offered at bachelor and master level, plus a clinical training programme, and the PhD programme has 140 students.
Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Psychology
About the position
A permanent position as Senior Engineer (SKO 1181) is available at the Department of Psychology, University of Oslo. We are looking for a technically interested and skilled engineer who holds the capacity to serve, maintain and coordinate our overall research infrastructure. The Cognitive and Translational Neuroscience Core facility (CTNC) is a key component in this infrastructure.
In the first phase of employment the engineer will have a main responsibility in the FRONT Neurolab group, an environment affiliated with RITMO Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Rhythm, Time, and Motion. The appointed engineer will here be part of a small support team working between labs, but with main responsibility for the neuroimaging methods. We have access to eye tracking/pupillometry, MRI scanners, scalp- and intracranial EEG, and fNIRS, and in the initial phase, the engineer will mainly work with EEG systems and data analysis and management.
Long term the position will include an extended overall responsibility for technical lab infrastructure at the department as such.
CTNC is a UiO Core Facility providing infrastructure for experimental research at the Department of Psychology.
RITMO is a Centre of Excellence funded by the Research Council of Norway. It focuses on rhythm as a structuring mechanism for temporal dimensions of human life. Researchers at RITMO work in a unique interdisciplinary constellation, with world-leading competence in musicology, psychology/cognitive neuroscience, and informatics.
- Responsibility for the daily operation of the lab equipment
- Procurement, installation, support, and maintenance of equipment
- Program experiments in Matlab, Psychtoolbox, E-prime, or similar software
- Support researchers with all phases of running experiments in the lab
- Develop routines for data management, including assisting researchers in developing data management plans, handling of privacy issues, and storage/archiving of data
- Development of analysis pipelines and assist in anonymization and preprocessing of data
- Train researchers and other staff in the skills needed to use the equipment in the lab
- Assist with developing, updating, and communicating best practice guidelines for data collection, data access control, and monitoring lab-equipment performance
- Management of the lab booking system
- Responsibility for the daily operation of the lab equipment
The position may be assigned additional tasks based on the needs of the Department.
- Master’s degree in informatics, computer science, engineering, cognitive psychology, neuroscience, or another relevant discipline. Relevant experience may compensate for the lack of formal education. The candidate is required to document how the background is relevant for the position.
- Experience with EEG and/or other advanced neuroscience methods and analysis
- Experience with Matlab, Python, and/or other research programming languages
- Skills and interest in research data management
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
Experience and competence within the following topics will be considered an advantage:
- Experience with other neuroimaging methods (e.g., intracranial EEG/MEG/MUA, fMRI, fNIRS equipment and research) and relevant analysis tools
- Experience with programming in C, C++, Java and/or other programming languages
- Experience with Linux systems and shell scripting
- Good communication and pedagogical skills
- Proactive and service-minded attitude
- High motivation and flexibility
- Good collaborative and relational abilities
- A position as Senior Engineer (SKO 1181) salary range NOK 635 400 – 732 300, depending on qualifications and seniority
- Opportunity for competence building
- An enjoyable, stimulating, and international environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities.
- Opportunity for training during working hours
How to apply
The application must include:
- Application letter stating motivation, professional interests, and a brief description of previous relevant experience.
- CV (summarizing education, positions, relevant experience, administrative experience, and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to applicant, e-mail, and telephone number
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system (Jobbnorge), please follow the link “Apply for this job”.
International applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. All documents must be in or translated to English or a Scandinavian language
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for the purpose of securing rights to intellectual property created by its employees, including research results.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition.Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
Apply for this job