Ledig stilling ved NMBU
Associate professor in Global Development and Environmental Governance
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a special responsibility for research and education that ensures the basis of life for future generations.
Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we provide knowledge for life.
NMBU has 1700 employees and 5200 students and is organized in seven faculties. NMBU has a campus in Ås and in Oslo. In the autumn of 2020 we are co-located on Ås. Further information on NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
The Faculty has 1300 students and 180 staff and is a multidisciplinary academic faculty with strong national and international connections.
The Faculty consists of five departments. The departments carry out research and education in the following fields: urban and regional planning, property management and law, landscape architecture, international environment and development studies, and public health.
The faculty has eleven study programs and two research education programs. Some of these are taught in Norwegian with a national focus and others in English with an international focus. The faculty also has a strong research record with a large portfolio of externally funded research projects.
About the position
The Department of International Environment and Development Studies (Noragric), Faculty of Landscape and Society at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU) has a vacant, permanent and full-time Associate professor position in Global Development and Environmental Governance.The Department of International Environment and Development Studies (Noragric) is seeking an Associate Professor with a background in the Social Sciences and a specialization in Global Development and Environmental Governance. We are seeking candidates with interdisciplinary experience, including some experience working across the social and natural sciences. This position is meant to strengthen the department’s education and research in environmental governance at different levels.
The successful candidate will be teaching at the master and bachelor level, assume responsibility for educational programs, as well as supervising master students. In addition to educational obligations, the successful candidate will have the responsibility to develop and implement innovative research related to environmental governance at the intersection of social and natural processes.
The successful candidate is expected to be present at the Department on a daily basis.
- Initiate and perform high quality education and research
- Develop, teach and administer courses on several programs; lead programs at the Bachelor and Master levels
- Initiate, acquire and conduct research projects with external funding (e.g. the Norwegian Research Council, EU, ERC and/or ERA)
- Supervise Bachelor, Master, and PhD theses
- Participate in administrative duties
- Take part in collaboration within the department, faculty and university
- Develop or participate in national and international networks
Qualification requirements, desired experiences, knowledge and personal qualities
The applicant must have:
- A PhD degree in International environment and development studies, human geography, sociology, political/institutional/ecological economics, political science or similar.
- Demonstrated ability to teach, supervise and conduct research in international environment and development studies or similar interdisciplinary study programs
- Demonstrated ability to work across disciplines, both individually and as part of a team
- Experience with research projects, e.g. projects funded from EU, ERC and/or the Norwegian Research Council.
- Experience with popular research dissemination and communication
- Connections to professional networks nationally and internationally
- Documented teaching competence. The successful candidate who at the time of appointment cannot document basic teaching qualifications, will be required to obtain such qualifications within a two-year period.
- Excellence in written and spoken English
The administrative language at Norwegian universities is Norwegian. It is therefore an advantage to have good written and spoken knowledge of Norwegian or another Scandinavian language. If a successful candidate is not fluent in a Scandinavian language at the time of the appointment, s/he will be expected to learn sufficient Norwegian to be able to participate actively in all functions the position may involve within three years following the appointment.
- Personal ambitions to develop and lead education and research
- Strong commitment to excellence
- Good collaborative and communicative skills
- Motivation to work in interdisciplinary teams
- Motivation to take part in the Department’s academic life on a daily basis and perform common tasks and duties
- Willingness to contribute to fulfill the Department’s and the Faculty’s strategic priorities.
Remuneration and information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade (65-77) (NOK 583.900-741.300), depending on qualifications. Seniority Promotion in position.
For further information, please contact:
- Head of Department Dr. Shai A. Divon. E-mail: [email protected]
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 17.04.2020
- All applicants must document their teaching competence. Please see the NMBU’s guide for applicants and members of the expert committee for documentation and assessment of educational competence for a position as associate professor.
- Full text of up to ten publications selected by the applicant as most relevant must be attached to the application. If it is difficult to identify the contribution of the applicant in multiple-author publications, a short explanation about the applicant’s part of the work is suggested. The five most relevant publications for the position must be identified
- Copies of educational certificates, PhD diploma, transcript of records and letters of recommendation.
Attachments must be uploaded in separate files.
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to submit a research and a pedagogical statement. Applicants invited for an interview will also be asked to present verified copies or originals of diplomas and certificates.