LEDIG STILLING VED NMBU
Associate professor in Data Science (Machine Learning)
Norwegian University of Life Sciences
NMBU has a particular responsibility for research and education that secures the basis for the life of future generations. Sustainability is rooted in everything we do and we deliver knowledge for life. NMBU has 1,900 employees of which about 300 phd scholarships and 6,700 students. The university is divided into seven faculties.
NMBU believes that a good working environment is characterised by diversity.
We encourage qualified candidates to apply regardless of gender, functional ability, cultural background or whether you have been outside the labour market for a period. If necessary, workplace adaptations will be made for persons with disabilities.
More information about NMBU is available at www.nmbu.no.
About The Faculty of Science and Technology
The Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK) develops research-based knowledge and educates civil engineers and lecturers needed to reach the UN's sustainability goals. We have approximately 150 employees, 70 PhD students and soon 1500 students. The education and research at REALTEK cover a broad spectrum of disciplines.
This includes data science, mechanics and process engineering, robotics, construction and architecture, industrial economics, environmental physics and renewable energy, geomatics, water and environmental engineering, applied mathematics as well as secondary school teacher education in natural sciences and use of natural resources such as in agriculture, forestry and aquaculture. The workplace is in Ås, 30 km from Oslo.
We seek a highly motivated scientist and academic teacher to strengthen data science research and education.
About the position
A permanent position as associate professor in Data Science with specialization in Machine Learning is available at the Department of Data Science at the Faculty of Science and Technology (REALTEK). At REALTEK, you will meet highly motivated students and a vibrant research environment in applied data science, ranging from biomedical imaging via process control and robotics to business analytics. We also train engineers across a wide range of fields and high school teachers.
We are looking for a candidate to complement and extend research activities in modern machine learning in areas related to active research fields at REALTEK and NMBU, especially with applications to robotics.
You will also teach undergraduate and graduate courses in data science. Supervision of MSc and PhD candidates will be an important part of the position.
REALTEK offers new academic staff an on-boarding package including priority when distributing university-funded PhD positions and NOK 50.000 in start-up funding.
For details about NMBU, the Faculty of Science and Technology, the Department of Data Science, as well as about detailed requirements for this position, please see the Additional Information for Applicants.
- Strengthen and expand machine learning research at REALTEK in areas relating to active research fields at REALTEK and NMBU, especially robotics
- Teach and evolve courses in machine learning and general data science at the undergraduate and graduate level
- Supervise master and doctoral students
- Establish your own research projects and attract funding from national and international sources
- Establish interdisciplinary collaborations on and beyond campus
- Participate in academic administration and the continuous development of our study programs and research activities
Required academic qualifications:
- Doctoral degree in a relevant field, such as data science, informatics, computer science, statistics or mathematics
- Solid research achievements in scientific computing and software development documented through peer-reviewed publications in international journals or conference proceedings
- Documented educational competence at the level required for associate professor appointments including a description of
- pedagogical qualifications (university pedagogics training of at least 200 hours)
- experience in teaching, pedagogics and tutoring
- basic skills in planning, implementation, evaluation and development of teaching and supervision
If you do not fulfill some of these requirements at present, you will be required to meet them within two years of employment.
Desired academic qualifications:
- Experience in international and interdisciplinary research projects
- Experience in developing software with a wider user community
- Teaching experience in machine learning
- Experience in supervising master and doctoral students
- Successful acquisition and management of external funding
- Experience in academic administration
Required language skills:
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Ability to teach courses in Norwegian within two years of employment (minimum proficiency level B2); fluency in Norwegian, Swedish or Danish is an advantage.
Required personal skills:
- Ability to engage students and colleagues
Personal suitability for the position will be emphasized.
NMBU aims to build a more diverse and gender-balanced staff. We therefore encourage women in particular to apply.
Remuneration and further information
The position is placed in government pay scale position code 1011 Associate Professor, wage framework 24, salary grade 68–77 (NOK 626.100–752.800), depending on qualifications. You can apply for promotion to full professor according to national standards.
For further information, please contact:
- Professor Hans Ekkehard Plesser, Department Head Data Science, e-mail: [email protected]; phone: +47 6723 1560
To apply online for this vacancy, please click on the 'Apply for this job' button above. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
Application deadline: 15.02.2022
Applicants invited for an interview will be asked to present verified copies of diplomas and certificates.
Your application must contain
- an application letter describing your motivation for and suitability to the position
- a CV including a list of publications
- a teaching portfolio describing your educational competence and experience according to NMBU's guidelines
- a research plan
- up to ten publications including a description of your contribution to multi-author papers.