Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Researcher in fungal diversity
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Biosciences (IBV) is one of nine departments at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Research in the department is organised in five sections covering topics within biochemistry, molecular biology, physiology, cell biology, genetics,
aquatic biology, toxicology, ecology, and evolutionary biology. Education across these topics is offered for around 380 bachelor, 170 master, and 75 PhD students. With 52 permanent professors/associate professors, post-docs, researchers, technical, and administrative personnel, the Department has a total staff of 340 from more than 30 different countries. The Department aims to maintain high international standards within both research and teaching. The new bachelor program in bioscience is the first of its kind to include programming and computational modelling as core elements.
Position available at the Department of Biosciences, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo, in Oslo Mycology Group (OMG).
The appointment as researcher is a fulltime position for a period of two and a half years. Starting date: May 1, 2020, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The candidate will work in a project funded by the Norwegian Biodiversity Information Centre. The newly discovered multicellular fungal group Archaeorhizomycetes can make up a dominant part of subsurface fungal communities in terrestrial ecosystems. However, we have so far no knowledge about the spatial distribution of these fungi in Norway due to their recent discover and lack of aboveground structures. This project will be among the very first systematic surveys of this largely unexplored group. We will use three main approaches to document and map Archaeorhizomycetes in Norway based on soil and plant root sampling: (1) culturing, (2) high-throughput DNA-sequencing using short and long-read sequencing techniques, and (3) various microscopy techniques. The project will establish basic information about the distribution of this newly discovered but abundant fungal group.
The hired researcher will be involved in all aspects of the research, including fieldwork, DNA-lab work, microscopy, bioinformatics/statistics and dissemination of the research.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition is to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- A PhD or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in mycology/fungal biology. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved.
- Knowledge/experience in the following fields/topics are required: fungal biology and diversity, field work and experimental design, Norwegian flora and vegetation, culturing of fungi, DNA-analyses - including high throughput sequencing techniques, imaging (microscopy) techniques, bioinformatics and statistics.
- Competitive publication track record.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English and Norwegian.
We are seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and hard-working candidate with the ambition to gain new insights and publish papers in international journals. Applicants must show good interpersonal skills and be willing to work in close collaboration with the project PI and other members of the project team, as well as have the ability to work independently.
- salary NOK 523 200 - 563 700 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Researcher (position code 1109)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter
- A statement (1 page) of motivation and interest for the position, describing how the applicant’s background and previous experience relate to the project in general, and how his/her skills fit into the research framework outlined.
- CV (summarizing education, positions, research experience, pedagogical experience, and other relevant activities).
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation.
- A complete list of publications.
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number).
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications required for this project, as well as the candidates’ motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged if needed.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
- For further information please contact:
- Prof. Håvard Kauserud; email: [email protected], phone: +47 22854832 or
- Assoc. Prof. Inger Skrede; e-mail: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment system please contact: HR adviser; email: [email protected].