LEDIG STILLING VED HANDELSHØYSKOLEN BI
PhD scholarships – strategy, entrepreneurship and innovation
BI Norwegian Business School
BI Norwegian Business School is ranked among the top business schools in Europe combining internationally recognized research and a wide range of educational offerings from bachelor to master and doctoral degree programmes as well as executive programmes. BI’s mission is to build the knowledge economy by empowering people and improving business. BI has 20 000 students, more than 300 000 alumni, and a number of academic and business partnerships and networks both nationally and internationally. BI holds the three most prestigious international quality accreditations – AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. BI is organised as an independent foundation whose purpose is teaching and research. All profits are used to strengthen BI's academic- and learning environment.
BI Norwegian Business School, the Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship is currently inviting applications for new doctoral scholarships, starting August 2021. The PhD specialization in Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation focuses on developing doctoral students' theoretical knowledge and methodological skills required to become successful academics. We encourage applications from students with a strong background in disciplines such as economics, business administration and organizational and behavioral sciences. The ideal candidate is interested in pursuing an academic career in research and teaching and has strong communication and analytical skills. We welcome research interests and project proposals in areas related to strategy, entrepreneurship, and innovation. Our faculty conducts research across a range of areas including (but not limited to) competitive strategy and business models, international strategy, corporate structures and governance, entrepreneurship, innovation, knowledge-based strategy and strategic leadership and processes, as well as alliances and M&As.
The Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurship is currently home to about 45 full-time faculty and 16 PhD students. The Department of Strategy and Entrepreneurships is proud of its internationally recognized scholars publishing in top tier international academic journals such as Academy of Management Journal, Journal of Management, Journal of International Business Studies and Journal of Business Venturing to mention a few.
The department hosts research centers in Construction, Health Management and Ocean Industries, with strong external partnerships supporting faculty research, workshops and seminars. The doctoral program is an important element of the department’s research agenda and of BI’s vision of being one of the leading business schools in Europe. The selected candidates will be working closely with faculty and have the opportunity to collaborate on research projects. Their place of work will be at the BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo.
Eligible applicants must have completed a Master of Science degree with thesis work, a research masters/M.Phil degree, or a comparable degree relevant for the specialization in Strategy, Entrepreneurship and Innovation by the early autumn of 2021, with a grade point average of B or higher.
Final year Master of Science students are encouraged to apply.
Accepted applicants will be offered close supervision and follow-up by the Department’s research faculty.
The four-year scholarships are currently NOK 506.300- per year (this amount will be increased after 2021 salary adjustments). The position gives automatic access to BI's pension scheme. The scholarships require 25% of the teaching responsibilities of a full-time professor position. PhD candidates will have their place of work at BI Norwegian Business School in Oslo, Norway.
Program relevant questions and inquiries can be directed to:
- Associate Dean, Professor Birgitte Grøgaard at +47 46410535 or [email protected]
Additional information about the doctoral program, admission requirements and the application can be obtained from the Doctoral Administration at BI Norwegian Business School (Email: [email protected]) and the department’s website (https://www.bi.edu/programmes-and-individual-courses/phd/strategic-management/)
You are required to upload the following with your application:
- Certificate of a Master of Science degree or equivalent, including transcripts of grades
- Certificate of a Bachelor degree or equivalent, including transcript of grades
- A Diploma Supplement or a similar document describing in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree (https://www.nokut.no/en/about-nokut/international-cooperation/diploma-supplement/)
- Other relevant certificates and transcripts
- A project proposal (5-10 pages including topic, proposed method, schedule)
- Letters of recommendations from people who can assess your suitability for doctoral studies. These people would ideally by academics who have taught you, supervised your research work, or have other relevant information about your potential as a researcher. If such people are not available, non-academic professional people can also provide a letter with an emphasis on your research potential. A minimum of two letters is required. Please arrange with the people submitting recommendation letters to email their recommendations to ([email protected]) by the application deadline.
- Name and title on your references
- Certificates from previously completed courses at the doctoral level, if requesting approval of these for the PhD program at BI Norwegian Business School (see section 2 in our PhD Regulations)
- A complete list of all publications and/or other documented relevant activities
- Signed verification document. Template to be found here
Please note that all documents must be uploaded in the electronic application. Documents may not be submitted by e-mail. Furthermore, note that any documents forwarded after the application deadline will not be considered. Exceptions will only be made for students who are completing their Master’s Degree in 2021 and do not have a final certificate when applying. Please note that you will not be able to revise your application once it has been submitted.
Candidates may, at a later stage, be asked to forward further information and/or be called in for an interview.
Candidates who are accepted for the program, must provide a more detailed progress plan with milestones and courses for the four years of study.
COMPANY HOMEPAGE: www.bi.no