LEDIG STILLING VED HANDELSHØYSKOLEN BI
Head of Department - Communication and Culture
BI Norwegian Business School
BI Norwegian Business School is ranked among the top business schools in Europe combining internationally recognized research and a wide range of educational offerings from bachelor to master and doctoral degree programmes as well as executive programmes. BI’s mission is to build the knowledge economy by empowering people and improving business. BI has 20 000 students, more than 300 000 alumni, and a number of academic and business partnerships and networks both nationally and internationally. BI holds the three most prestigious international quality accreditations – AACSB, EQUIS and AMBA. BI is organised as an independent foundation whose purpose is teaching and research. All profits are used to strengthen BI's academic- and learning environment.
At the Department of Communication and Culture, we have a vacant position as Head of Department (HoD) for a fixed term period of four years. The Head of Department reports to the Provost for Research and Academic Resources.
The Head of Department is a member of the Provost’s management team, the President’s extended management group and is expected to participate is committees such as the Senate, Programme Committees and other committees set up in order to reach BI’s strategic goals.
About the Department
The Department of Communication and Culture hosts faculty developing and disseminating knowledge in communication, culture and education. The department has several research projects funded by the Research Council of Norway and Horizon 2020 in collaboration with other national and international institutions. The department offers courses in Bachelor on Creative Industries Management and Digital Communication and Marketing, some MSc courses and several courses in the Executive Master of Management programme.
The department has researchers in four centers; Center for Corporate Communication, Center for Creative Industries, Center for internet and Society and center for Innovation in Education.
Goals and responsibilities for the position
The Head of Department is expected to show excellent leadership skills, be able to set goals and strategically work both towards BI’s and the department’s goals. The Head of Department has the academic, financial, and administrative responsibility for the activities within the department. He/she is responsible for recruitment, allocation of resources and the development of relevant faculty on all campuses. The Head of Department is responsible for building a good and professional work environment and will also be responsible for the follow-up of faculty in line with BIs Quality Assurance System.
Main tasks will include:
- Set goals for the academic development for the departments and means to reach those goals
- Appointing and developing of world-class faculty with significant impact on international research, student learning and business practice, in line with BI’s strategy.
- Develop research-based attractive academic programmes and further develop existing programmes in close cooperation with the Deans
- Implementing effective teaching practices and student-oriented learning design to secure student learning outcome and provide inspiring learning experiences
- Contribute to the development of cooperation with excellent international academic environments and institutions.
- Increasing external funding for research activities, initiate and develop research centers in line with BI’s policy
We are looking for a person with
- A scientific position, preferably as professor, within relevant research areas.
- Excellent leaderships skills and the ability to motivate others, preferably with a documented experience from the higher education sector.
- Ability to work systematically towards goals and lead a team
In addition, we will emphazise
- Excellent understanding of leadership in the higher education sector in the context of academic freedom.
- Motivating leadership style with focus on cooperation, involvement, dialogue, and a strong sense of responsibility
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build networks, establish trust both internally and externally.
- Management style stimulating to good results and ensuring a good working environment.
The terms for Head of Department will be in accordance with BI practice.
External applicants must have positive professor evaluation within a relevant research area and will be entitled to a permanent faculty position after ending the fixed term period.
Qualified applicants will be invited for an interview and may also be invited to a screening process conducted by an external recruitment agency. BI Norwegian Business School reserves the right not to hire applicants, who are academically qualified but to not fulfill other requirements for the position.
Questions concerning the vacancy may be directed to:
- Provost Hilde C. Bjørnland phone 46 41 07 67, or email: [email protected]
Application are sent electronically by using the button ‘send application’ by the deadline of 15th of November 2020. Starting date upon agreement, preferably early 2021.
- Professor, Hilde C. Bjørnland, Provost, Mobile: +47 46410767
COMPANY HOMEPAGE: www.bi.no