Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in Evolutionary Developmental Biology
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (Sars Centre) is situated at the Marineholmen campus together with other research institutes at the University. The Sars Centre is partner with European Molecular Biological Laboratory (EMBL) in Heidelberg, Germany and is organized directly under Rector at UiB – Read more here.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for a postdoctoral research fellow position at the Sars International Centre for Marine Molecular Biology (www.sars.no) in the research group headed by Dr. Patrick Steinmetz. The position is for a period of 2 years and is funded on the Sars Centre core budget. The Sars Centre belongs to the University of Bergen and is partner of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) (www.embl.de). The place of work will be at the Sars Centre. The preferred starting date is 1st October 2020.
About the project/work tasks:
The research group ‘Evolution of nutrient and growth homeostasis in animals’, led by Dr Patrick Steinmetz is interested in understanding the evolution of the cells and molecules that regulate nutrient-dependent processes in animal growth and reproduction. We are looking for a highly self-motivated postdoctoral research fellow to study the nutritional regulation of stem and/or progenitor cells in the sea anemone Nematostella vectensis. The applicant will generate and use transgenic reporter and/or CRISPR-mediated knock-in lines, and combine those with a diverse range of physiological, imaging and molecular biology techniques available. The successful candidate will work in close association with the group leader and other lab members with the aim to eventually contribute to the further development of the project in line with her/his interests.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded
- Prior experience in molecular biology methods is a requirement
- Prior experience in the field of evolutionary developmental biology, especially in stem cell biology and/or nutritional regulation of growth is highly beneficial
- Prior experience in working with ‘emerging’ model organisms (e.g. cnidarians, sponges, planarians) is also highly beneficial
- A strong motivation to perform research at an internationally competitive level is expected
- The ability to work both independently and to cooperate with others in a structured manner is essential
- Proficiency in both written and oral English is a requirement
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 2 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A professional, challenging and international working environment.
- Well-equipped, modern laboratories and facilities
- Salary at pay grade 59 (code 1352 / pay range 24, alternative 1) according to the state salary scale upon appointment. This constitutes a gross annual salary of NOK 523.200. Further promotions are made according to length of service. For particularly highly qualified applicants, a higher salary may be considered
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A cover letter of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for at least two reference persons. One of these should be the main advisor from the PhD programme
- CV including list of published papers and pre-prints
- Transcripts, diplomas or official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted
- Relevant certificates/references
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at JobbNorge.
Application Deadline: 19 July 2020.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
- Group Leader Patrick Steinmetz, email: [email protected]
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.