Ledig stilling ved Universitetet i Bergen
Postdoctoral Fellow (3 years) - Department of Biomedicine
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are five departments and seven centres at Faculty of Medicine.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
At the Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biomedicine, a position (100 %) as Postdoctoral Research Fellow is available for a period of three (3 years). The position is external financed and part of the project “‘Prevention and Remediation of Insulin Multimorbidity in Europe’ — ‘PRIME’ “, financed of the Horizon 2020 program, European Commission.
The project will be performed at the Neurotargeting group with Haavik (https://www.uib.no/en/rg/haavik) and at Biorecognition with Martinez (https://www.uib.no/rg/martinez) in collaboration with other partners of the PRIME consortium.
The main objective of this project is to evaluate protein targets, starting with the potassium voltage-gated channel KCNQ1 and 14-3-3 proteins, to discover potential novel treatment targets for type 2 diabetes (DM2), brain insulin morbidity and associated neuropsychiatric co-morbidities.
About the project/work tasks:
The main activities for the postdoctor are:
- Expression and purification of target proteins, including KCNQ1, an integral membrane protein, and 14-3-3s, which are soluble, cytoplasmic proteins
- Computational and experimental screening of drug libraries followed by validations and functional studies.
- Experimental and computational binding analyses by differential scanning fluorimetry (DSF), and additional biophysical and functional analyses and molecular docking in the crystal structures of target enzymes.Explore and define the structure-activity relationships (SAR) through hit expansion and hit-to-lead optimization.
- Perform analyses of hit compound function in cellular systems, and collaboration with partners that maintain relevant animal models
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- the applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within biochemistry, pharmacy, chemistry, medicine and nanotechnology or have the doctoral thesis submitted prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded at the latest within 20.10.2020
- the successful applicant must have qualifications and experience in the techniques and activities mentioned above, applied preferentially to integral membrane proteins.
- applicants who have successfully completed a hit-to-lead protocol in drug discovery are particularly welcome to apply for this position.
- the applicant must be experienced in counseling, teaching, writing manuscripts and preferentially also grant applications
- experience with international collaboration is an advantage
- the applicant must be motivated and responsible, and also have a great work capacity and enthusiasm for research
- work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others
- proficiency in written and oral English
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. Postdoctoral fellowships are fixed term positions. You can not be employed as a postdoctoral fellow for more than one fixed term period at the same institution. Also, you cannot be employed in a postdoctoral position if you have previously held this type of position at a different institution in the region.
Upon appointment, applicants must submit a project proposal for the qualifying work including a work schedule. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
The employee may be assigned required duties in the form of teaching and similar work at the department.
We can offer:
- Exciting development opportunities as part of your role in a strong professional environment
- salary level 62 (code 1352/pay framework 24.4) at present NOK 552 800 gross p.a., with a degree in Medicine or Dentistry level 63 (code 1352/pay framework 24.7) at present NOK 563 700, with a medical specialization level 65 (code 1352/pay framework 24.9) at present NOK 583 900, gross p.a. on the government salary scale. Further promotion will be after service seniority in the position
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- a brief account of the applicant`s research interests and motivation for applying for the position
- transcripts and diplomas (applicants with education from other countries than Norway must enclose witnessed diplomas in both the original language and authorized translations) and documentation of approved doctoral thesis
- complete list of publications
- publications (pdf) it is important that each of the scholarly works on which the committee should place special emphasis, is attached in its entirety
- two referees (name and contact information)
For further information about the project and the position, please contact:
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principles of public access to information when recruiting staff to academic positions. Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named in the list of applicants. The applicant will be notified if their request is not met.
For further information about the employment process can be found here.