Ledig stilling ved NIVA
Research Manager - Marin biology
Norsk institutt for vannforskning
Norsk institutt for vannforskning (NIVA) er Norges viktigste miljøforskningsinstitutt for vannfaglige spørsmål, og vi arbeider innenfor et bredt spekter av miljø, klima og ressursspørsmål. Vår forskerkompetanse kjennetegnes av en solid faglig bredde, og spisskompetanse innen mange viktige områder. Vi kombinerer forskning, overvåkning, utredning, problemløsning og rådgivning, og arbeider på tvers av fagområder. NIVA-gruppen har omlag 400 medarbeidere. NIVA har hovedkontor i Oslo og regionavdelinger i Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar og København, en marin forskningsstasjon ved Drøbak, samt datterselskaper i Tromsø, Chile og Kina.
Our highly competent group of marine biologists is looking for a new leader. The group has a broad knowledge base concerning how marine and coastal ecosystems respond to both human and natural influences, and how they should be managed. Competency areas include; benthic ecology, habitat modelling and classifications, monitoring, coastal zone management, ecosystem services, the Water Framework Directive, and scientific diving. In addition, the section houses a National research infrastructure project, “Seabee”, for the development and use of drones in coastal research.
NIVA’s vision is «research for a sustainable future» - and the institute has a good scientific reputation and a strong market position. As a research leader at NIVA you will make an important contribution to this vision and to the institute’s further development, ensuring societal relevance through scientific excellence.
NIVA is currently divided into 15 research sections, each with 10-20 employees including; researchers, research assistants, engineers and students. The research leader reports directly to one of NIVA’s research directors and joins the expanded management team.
- Development and implementation of strategies to ensure NIVA’s position within relevant areas of expertise
- Ensure scientific excellence and creativity
- Take initiative for innovation, and for the development and application of new methodologies
- Overall responsibility for the section’s economy
- Responsibility for the section’s staff, and their professional development
- Ensure efficient project implementation and delivery, from the application process to QA of outputs
- Contribute to NIVA’s management team of research leaders, and NIVAs development
- Application of own expertise in projects where relevant.
Qualifications and experience
We are looking for a leader with a strong research and development background, preferably with a PhD within marine biology.
- Management experience and skills, min. 3-5 years in research related organizations.
- Documented ability for funding acquisition within research, within applied research for industry and for the environmental management authorities
- Strong cross-sectoral national and international network
- Significant publication, reporting and popular scientific dissemination record
- Excellent written and spoken Norwegian (or other Scandinavian languages) and English are required
- International project experience is advantageous
We are looking for a leader who is creative, can initiate and coordinate new research and develop new projects and services. The ability to convey ideas and knowledge, and communicate well with partners, customers and colleagues will be emphasized. You need to show that you are an inspiring leader and team player who can make decisions, prioritize and delegate, and who finds motivation in leading and developing others.
- Challenging and inspiring tasks at Norway’s leading water research institute with a broad project portfolio and a comprehensive international contact network.
- The opportunity to contribute to the research strategy of the institute
- Head office at CIENS (The Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Research) centrally located at the Oslo Innovation Centre near the University of Oslo, or alternatively work place from NIVA’s branch office in Grimstad.
- Stimulating, international work environment with highly skilled and dedicated employees.
- Competitive conditions and salaries, pension plans and insurance benefits
Applicants can be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline.
Webcruiter ID: 4258225005
- Christopher Harman (Research director), +47 982 27 745
- Åse Åtland (Research director), +47 901 47 510