Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Deep Learning / Neural Networks / Machine Learning Algorithms
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Mathematics is part of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The Department is engaged in research covering a wide spectrum of subjects within mathematics, mechanics and statistics.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
A Position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow available at Department of Mathematics.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is made for a period of up to three years (10% of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities), or for a period of up to four years (25 % of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities). An assessment of qualifications and previous experience will decide the length of the appointment.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo.
Starting date no later than 01.10.2020.
More about the position
The department seeks to enhance its expertise on the mathematical (both theoretical and computational) aspects of deep learning/neural networks/machine learning algorithms. The successful candidate is expected to contribute significantly to this goal.
The successful candidate for the position will be affiliated with one of the sections: Mechanics (section 1), Risk and Stochastics (section 3), Computational Mathematics and Differential Equations (section 4). Information about the research groups within these sections is found at www.mn.uio.no/math/english/research/groups
Postdoctoral fellows who are appointed for a period of four years are expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency in the course of their fellowship period within the duty component of 25 %.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition is to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in Mathematics or Mechanics, with a clear profile in one or several of the following: deep learning, neural networks, machine learning algorithms. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English. Similar communication skills in a Scandinavian language are desirable.
- Ability to lead and conduct research in a collaborative environment
- Ability and track record with regard to acquiring grants
- Salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include:
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest, and which of the sections 1, 3 or 4 specified in the announcement the candidate wishes to be affiliated with)
- Project description (at most 3 A4 pages)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description, and the quality of the project as well as the candidate’s motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
For further information please contact:
- Prof. Atle Jensen, e-mail: [email protected], section 1
- Prof. Fred Espen Benth, e-mail: [email protected], section 3 or
- Prof. Nils Henrik Risebro, e-mail: [email protected], section 4
For question regarding our application system, please contact HR Adviser Ørjan Pretorius, [email protected]