Ledig stilling ved OsloMet
Professor in Mechanical engineering
The Department of Mechanical, Electronics and Chemical Engineering (MEK) is one out of five departments at TKD. The department offers three bachelor’s degree programmes and will from 2020 offer a master’s degree programme, in addition to research and development activities. The department has approximately 30 staff members, 10 PhD students (in Engineering Science at TKD) and researchers, and 450 students.
OsloMet – Oslo Metropolitan University is one of Norway’s largest universities, with more than 20,000 students and 2,000 employees. OsloMet delivers knowledge to solve societal challenges, in close cooperation with the society and employers. OsloMet is an urban and diverse university with a clear international profile, and an attractive place to work and study with campuses in Oslo city center and at Kjeller in the Municipality of Lillestrøm. Our location in the metropolitan area gives us good opportunities to understand and benefit from the city’s diverse population.
The Faculty of Technology, Art and Design (TKD) offers higher education and research and development (R&D) activities within technical subjects, arts and design. The Faculty has approximately 3.000 students and 280 staff members and is situated at Pilestredet Campus in downtown Oslo and at Kjeller Campus in Akershus.
The department offers bachelor’s degree programmes in engineering, in addition to research and development activities. The department has approximately 40 staff members and 460 students.
Research within biotechnology and medical technology are priority areas at the department.
The Department of Mechanical, Electrics and Chemical Engineering has a vacant position as Professor in Mechanical engineering. The position will involve teaching and research in the areas of mechanical engineering
We are looking for a candidate with a talent and a passion for teaching, research, and innovation. The candidate will be expected to have conducted extensive research in the field of mechanical engineering. The research should be reflected in an extensive publication list in high impact journals and conferences. Experience from research and development work in the industry is also important.
The candidate is expected to actively strengthen and shape the academic and research work at the department and the university's research community in general, including interdisciplinary work across departments at the Faculty of Technology, Art and Design, as well as in collaboration with other faculties at OsloMet.
The candidate is expected to initiate and secure external funding for new research activities within the scope of mechanical engineering. Extensive experience with applying and securing external funding from e.g. the Norwegian Research Council and EU is a requirement for this position, in addition to academic excellence.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Planning, developing and delivering courses at PhD, master, and bachelor level, including teaching, supervision, and assessment.
- Contributing in building up a new master and the PhD program in Engineering Science.
- Taking the lead in the development of major research projects and applications for external funding in mechanical engineering and related fields and recruitment of PhD candidates
- Initiating and developing research collaborations with national and international partners
- Actively contributing to the development of high-quality education in mechanical engineering and of the department and OsloMet as a whole.
- Communicating and disseminating research results for both academic and broader audience.
- Performing administrative tasks related to educational, research, and innovation activities.
The required qualifications for the position are as follows:
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering or a related field
- Academic excellence and documented high quality research work within design optimisation and computation mechanics
- Experience with initiating and managing research projects.
- A solid track record of securing external funding for research
- Knowledge of relevant software
- Experience from international research
- Experience in teaching and supervision in higher education
- Experience in collaborating with, or direct experience from, the industry
- Fluency in English is expected. The candidate is expected to acquire a working command of Norwegian within three years of being appointed.
General criteria for appointment of a position as Professor are stipulated in Regulations relating to Appointment and Promotion to Teaching and Research Positions (Forskrift om ansettelse og opprykk i undervisnings- og forskerstillinger) § 1-2.
Candidates who have no relevant qualifications in pedagogy at the time of appointment must commit themselves to complete OsloMet’s programme for basic pedagogical competence (15 ECTS credits) within two years.
The university will test pedagogical skills in connection with a personal interview.
Emphasis is also placed on the following skills, competence and experience:
- The ability to motivate and inspire students and colleagues
- Excellent cooperation and communication skills
- Inquisitiveness, and a keenness to develop as an academic leader
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt teaching and research to the needs of OsloMet and the department, including interdisciplinary collaboration
- Pedagogical education, a keenness to develop academic and teaching skills, and an interest in digital and innovative educational techniques and practices
- The ability to build communities and networks, research projects, and to demonstrate fresh thinking and innovation
- Experience with and interest in technology transfer, innovation and patents, as well as digital and innovative educational techniques and practices.
It is important for OsloMet to reflect the population of our region, and all qualified candidates are welcome to apply. We make active efforts to further develop as an inclusive workplace and to adapt the workplace if required.
An expert committee will assess applicants. You must upload the following documents together with your application by the final date for applications:
- CV (including teaching and supervision experience and the name and contact information of at least three references)
- full list of publications
- copies of certificates/diplomas (including formal education in pedagogics, if applicable)
- up to fifteen full-text scientific articles, submitted together with a table of contents and a short introduction highlighting the relevance of each article to the profile of the position and a detailed description of the contribution to the article by the applicant
- academic documents including your PhD dissertation
- a text (up to 2 pages) outlining the candidate’s relevant pedagogical experience and plans for pedagogical activity and development in the position (“teaching statement”)
- a text (up to 2 pages) outlining the candidate’s relevant research and plans for research activity in the position (“research statement”). This overview should include an overview of existing projects and research collaborators.
- other relevant documentation
You must upload all of these documents. Original documents and valid passport must be presented if you are invited for an interview. OsloMet performs document inspections in order to give you as a candidate a proper evaluation and ensure fair competition.
If you have documents that cannot be uploaded electronically, please contact [email protected]
If there are no qualified applicants, appointment to a temporary position as a (Professor), on the condition that he/she qualifies for a permanent position within three years, will be considered.
Please note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
We can offer you
- An exciting job opportunity at Norway’s third largest and most urban university
- Opportunity to be a part of a dynamic professional environment and unique academic network
- Beneficial pension arrangements with the Norwegian State Pension Fund
- Good employee welfare arrangements
- Free Norwegian language classes to employees and their partners
- Relocation support, cultural courses and on boarding services
- Working location in downtown Oslo with multiple cultural offers
OsloMet’s International Career Site gives information on living and working in Oslo.
If you would like more information about the position, feel free to contact:
- Head of Department Astrid Oust Janbu, e-mail [email protected] phone +47 91 51 43 26.
The salary for the position is in accordance with the pay for state employees: job code 1013 professor, NOK 695 500 – 893 900.
A higher salary may be considered for particularly well-qualified applicants. Law deducts 2% of the salary to the State Pension Fund.
If you wish to apply for the position, please apply electronically by clicking the button at the bottom of the page.
Deadline for applications: 06.08.2019
OsloMet has implemented the Charter & Code and been certified by the EU Commission with HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) and is part of the EU network for mobility of Researchers Euraxess.
OsloMet has implemented the Charter & Code and is certified to use the HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) logo by the European Commission.
OsloMet is a member of the EU Researchers in Motion network Euraxess.