Research Leader, Pelagic (freshwater) ecology and microalgae cultivation
Deadline for application: 05/10/2018
Norwegian Institute for Water Research
The Norwegian Institute for Water Research (NIVA) is Norway’s leading institute for basic and applied research on marine and freshwaters. The institute’s research comprises a wide array of environmental, climatic and resource-related fields. NIVA’s world-class expertise is multidisciplinary with a broad scientific scope. We combine research, monitoring, evaluation, problem-solving and advisory services at international, national and local levels.
The NIVA group has approximately 340 employees. NIVA´s head office is in Oslo with regional offices in Bergen, Grimstad, Hamar, Copenhagen and China, a research station at Drøbak (Oslofjord), as well as subsidiaries in Tromsø and Chile.
NIVA is in the process of re-organizing and expanding several of its research sections and is in this regard looking to recruit several innovative research leaders to head some of our sections. We are recruiting a leader for the section with strong expertise in pelagic ecology, microalgae and cyanobacteria, and responsibility for one of Europe’s largest culture collections of microalgae (NORCCA). NIVA currently has 14 research sections, each with 10-20 researchers, research assistants and engineers. The Research Leader report directly to one of NIVAs research directors and joins NIVA’s expanded management team.
- Development and implementation of scientific strategies and action plans to ensure NIVA’s position within the relevant areas of expertise
- Responsibility for income generation and section economy
- Line management of the sections researchers and other staff, and their professional development
- Ensure efficient project implementation and delivery, from the application process through to QA of outputs
- Be a driver for scientific creativity and innovation in the section
- Contribute in NIVA’s management team of research leader’s
- Application of own expertise in research and projects where relevant
Qualifications and experience
We are looking for leader(s) with relevant research and innovation backgrounds within environmental sciences; for instance, pelagic freshwater or marine ecology, limnology, phytoplankton ecology, aquatic biodiversity, aquatic biomonitoring, microalgae cultivation. In addition, applicants will be expected to show the following:
- Proven management experience and skills, at least as leader of larger projects
- Documented ability to generate income from research funding bodies, and within applied research for environmental management authorities and for industry
- Profound understanding of the Water Framework Directive and its requirements for lake monitoring, including advanced monitoring methods.
- Strong cross-sectoral national and international network
- Significant publication, reporting and popular scientific dissemination record
- Excellent written and spoken English are required, and Scandinavian language skills are desirable
- International project experience is advantageous
We are seeking leaders who have a clear and structured leadership style, and has the ability to be creative in initiating and coordinating new research, and the development of new products and services. Demonstrated collaborative skills will be essential, both internally and externally. The ability to inspire and involve the researchers and other employees in the section, convey ideas and knowledge, and communicate well with external partners, customers and users will be emphasized.
- Challenging and inspiring tasks at Norway’s leading water research institute with a broad project portfolio and a comprehensive international contact network.
- The opportunity to contribute to the direction of environmental research at the institute
- Head office at CIENS (The Oslo Centre for Interdisciplinary Environmental and Social Research) centrally located at the Oslo Innovation Centre near the University of Oslo
- Stimulating, international work environment with highly skilled and dedicated employees.
- Competitive conditions and salaries, pension plans and insurance benefits
Women are encouraged to apply.
Applicants might be evaluated and contacted before the application deadline.
Ref. nr.: 3922766412
Kontakt: Thorjørn Larssen (Forskningsdirektør)
Telefon: (+47) 415 03 043