Professor / Associate Professor - Aquaculture
Application deadline: 17.10.2018
Global challenges demand new insight, innovative solutions and local legitimacy. Nord University is a young university with strong regional ties and a global perspective. We are committed to delivering relevant educational programmes and research, with a focus on blue and green growth, innovation and entrepreneurship, and welfare, health and education. Nord University has 12,000 students and 1,200 employees at nine study locations in central and northern Norway.
The Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture (FBA) educates people who promote sustainable and innovative development to meet global challenges in food production, climate and environment. The Faculty is an international arena for education, research and knowledge dissemination, with employees and students from 25 different countries. The Faculty offers a PhD in Aquatic Biosciences. The Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture has 900 students and 140 employees in Bodø and Steinkjer. The professional community is organised into the following divisions: Aquaculture, Ecology, Genomics and Animal Science, Production and Welfare.
Read more: www.nord.no/en/fba
About the position
The Faculty of Biosciences and Aquaculture (Campus Bodø), Nord University, Norway, invites applications for a 100% permanent position as Professor/Associate professor.
The successful candidate is expected to carry out teaching and research within the field. The candidate must have a strong knowlegde about the Norwegian aquaculture industry and it's challenges. The position should contribute to development and strengthening of the study programmes including the continuing education offered to the aquaculture industry. The position includes administrative tasks linked to teaching, research and dissemination.
The work tasks may be changed depending on the faculty's research and teaching, and the competence of the employee.
- The duty includes teaching and supervision of Bachelor-, Master- and Philosophiae Doctor students, both in Norwegian and English languages, as well as teaching at FBA’s continuing education programs offered to the aquaculture industry
- The successful candidate should actively contribute to the consistent improvement of our study programs within aquaculture
- Initiate and develope interdisciplinary research projects and academic environment in collaboration with colleagues at the Faculty
- The appointee should actively seek for grants from national and international funding agencies to build up the research portfolio at FBA
- Contribute to building the reputation of Nord University in Norway and elsewhere
Area of expertise and qualifications
Primarily we are seeking av candidate with an excellent level of knowlegde within fish health, fish pathogens and disease challenges in the Norwegian aquaculture industry. We also invite applications from candidates who possess strong backgrounds within areas of fish biology, optimization of aquaculture production, or production of salmon and marine fishes.
The successful candidate will possess a doctoral degree within fish health biology, veterinary medicin, aquaculture, biosciences or an equivalent accreditation, and should have academic qualifications required for a professor/associate professor. The candidate must have good knowlegde about the norwegian aquaculture industry.
For appointment as Professor, the candidate should have extensive experience in teaching and supervision; excellent track record in research grant procurement; strong record of publication and dissemination; dynamic national and international research network; experience in academic leadership. For the assessment of candidates, the committee will make use of the qualification descriptions for professor as they appear in the note Coordination of the procedures for promotion to full professor at the science faculties of universities in Norway, adopted by the National Faculty Meeting of Sciences and National Council of Technological Education, August 2016
For appointment to the position of Associate Professor, we require a Norwegian doctoral degree in relevant field, and experience in teaching as well research within the field followed by peer-reviewed publications. Experience from national/international grant procurement is beneficial. If the candidate has a foreign degree, it has to be approved as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree.
Professor/Associate Professor must have basic formal competence and relevant teaching experience. Applicants that cannot document such competence, are requested to complete this within the first two years of employment. Nord University offers such training.
Good oral and written presentation skills in English and Norwegian (or possibly another Scandinavian language). For applicants who do not have one of the Scandinavian languages as native speakers, oral and written language skills must be documented.
Qualified applicants will be ranked according to the following criteria:
- Experience in teaching and supervision at Bachelor-, Master- and Philosophiae Doctor students levels from higher education institutions
- Research and development relevant to the position
- Publications from the last five years
- Experience with international research networks and externally funded projects
- Pedagogical qualifications
- Good skills in communicating and collaborating with students and colleagues
- Personal qualities which can contribute positively to the academic environment
The position is compensated according to Norwegian government regulations, code 1013 Professor or code 1011 for associate professor. Salary by agreement.
- Advantages within the Government Pension Fund for borrowing, insurance and pension.
- Creative and collegial working environment
- A workplace with steady progressive development
- Flexible working hours
- Active university sports team
The person who is appointed must abide by the applicable laws, agreements, and directives. The responsibilities and duties associated with the position may change with future reorganization at Nord University.
The public sector workforce is expected to reflect the diversity of the population in general. Candidates from marginalized groups are encouraged to apply. Nord University practises moderate allocation according to gender quotas in accordance with the Basic Agreement for State Employees.
Further information about the position can be obtained by contacting :
- Dean Professor Ketil Eiane ([email protected]), Telephone: +47 75 51 73 33
- Professor Mette Sørensen ([email protected]), Telepfone: +47 75 51 76 18/+47 95 04 58 65
- Office manager Irene Stork ([email protected]), Telepfone: +47 75 51 74 42
Applicants will be evaluated by an expert committee. Short-listed applicants will be called for an interview and trial lecture. These will be decisive for the appointment.
If there are many applicants, an internal committee may be convened to identify the most relevant candidates in the pool. These candidates will then be evaluated by an expert committee. All applicants will be advised in writing of the outcome.
Applications must be submitted online by the closing date of 17.10.2018.
The electronic application must contain:
- Cover letter, including description of research plans for over a 5-year period with focus on the fields mentioned in the announcement text
- CV summarizing education, positions held, teaching and research experience, publications, administrative experience and other qualifying activities
- Copies of diplomas, transcripts and certificates
- Complete copies of up to 15 of the most relevant publications / academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered, along with a list of those submitted. The list should include five publications that the applicant believes to be most important, along with the reasons why. The doctoral dissertation should be included.
- Documentation of other activities which the applicant considers relevant to the position and desires to be considered in the assessment.
- Contact information for 2-3 referees
All documentation to be considered is to be uploaded as attachments to the application. Complete documentation in electronic form must be submitted by the closing date for applications.
After the application deadline has expired a list of applicants will be published. Note that, in special cases, information about particular applicants to a position may be made public even when that applicant has requested that their application be processed confidentially. Applicants requesting an exemption from publication of their details must explain their reasons for doing so in their application. In this case, advance notice will be given in the event of a decision to make public any information about the applicant.
Application deadline: 17.10.2018