Ledig stilling ved Simula
Postdoctoral Fellow in Coding and Information Theory
Simula UiB AS is a research center owned by Simula Research Laboratory AS and the University of Bergen (UiB). Since 2001, scientific evaluations conducted by the Research Council of Norway has repeatedly placed Simula at the forefront of international research in ICT. The most recent in-depth evaluation was recently published, grading all research groups at Simula as excellent. The department of informatics has been ranked as the number one ICT research institute in Norway (The Norwegian Research Council, 2012).
About Simula Research Lab and Norway
Simula: solving problems, making a difference.
“We hire the best people, those who are personally driven to push boundaries and innovate - and then we give them the tools, space and freedom to do just that.”
CEO, Prof. Aslak Tveito
Simula’s mission is to solve important and fundamental problems of science and engineering, with the main goal of benefiting and advancing society. We do this by concentrating on five select research areas in ICT and performing excellent research, by developing our people, and by spinning out applicable results into profitable startups.
Learn more about working at Simula: Careers at Simula
Norway is famous for its outdoor scenery, with gorgeous fjords, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Moreover, Norway is a safe and peaceful country with a thriving economy, offering a high standard of living and all the benefits of a social-democratic welfare state, such as social security and universal public healthcare.
Learn more about Norway: Official travel guide to Norway
Call for Postdoctoral Fellow in Coding and Information Theory
A three-year post-doctoral position in the area of privacy and security is available at the Information Theory Section of Simula UiB (http://simula-uib.com) in Bergen, Norway.
The goal of Simula UiB is to increase the security expertise in Norway through research and education. We have a solid background in information theory and communication theory, as well as many related areas. Currently, our research focus includes various topics in private information retrieval, private computation, private edge computing, coding for distributed computing, coding for DNA storage, privacy in machine learning, and privacy-preserving technologies in general, and we are looking for a candidate with a solid background within one/several of these research areas.
The candidate will have to demonstrate an excellent level of spoken and written English, possess good interpersonal and communication skills, and show the willingness to work as part of an international team. Simula is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
Simula UiB Offers
- Excellent opportunities for performing high quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers and engineers.
- An informal and inclusive international working environment.
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, through established collaboration with industry, exchange programs and research visits with other universities, and funding to attend conferences.
- Modern office facilities located in downtown Bergen, Norway.
- A competitive salary. Starting gross salary from NOK 532.300.
- Numerous benefits: access to company cabin, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone and subscription), comprehensive travel/health insurance policy, etc.
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses, etc.
- Administrative research support: e.g., quality assurance process for grant proposals (including RCN and EU programs).
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being is a priority and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently.
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
- A cover letter explaining the candidate’s background, qualifications, research interests and how/why the candidate is qualified for the position.
- Curriculum vitae (summarizing education, positions and academic or industrial work, scientific publications, and software development experience).
- Academic transcripts including a copy of PhD thesis.
- Contact information of two references, including the PhD supervisor(s).
Applications will be screened continuously, and decisions will be made as soon as we find the right candidates. The starting date is negotiable.
Additional enquiries regarding the position can be addressed to:
- Chief Research Scientist Eirik Rosnes: [email protected], web: https://sites.google.com/a/simula.no/eirik-rosnes/home or
- Research Scientist Hsuan-Yin Lin: [email protected], web: http://hsuanyin-lin.com/main.html
Simula UiB uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.