LEDIG STILLING VED UNIVERSITETET I BERGEN
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position at the Department of comparative politics
University of Bergen
The University of Bergen is a renowned educational and research institution, organised into seven faculties and approximately 54 institutes and academic centres. Campus is located in the centre of Bergen with university areas at Nygårdshøyden, Haukeland, Marineholmen, Møllendalsveien and Årstad.
There are seven departments at Faculty of Social Sciences. Read more about the faculty and departments.
UiB - Knowledge that shapes society
Through robust and close interaction with the world around us – globally, nationally and locally – we shall be instrumental in building a society based on knowledge, skills and attitudes.
Do you want to take part in shaping the future?
Postdoctoral Research Fellow position
There is a vacancy for an open postdoctoral research fellow position at the Department of Comparative Politics University of Bergen.
The position is for a period of four (4) years, of which 25 % is mandatory work at the Department. The Department of Comparative Politics is a research-intensive department offering an exciting place for research and education on political institutions, organizations, processes, and behaviour at local, national, and international levels. The Department offers bachelor's and master’s programmes in comparative politics, as well as a bachelor's programme in European studies. Research at the department is organized in research groups, and around research projects.
About the project/work tasks:
We are looking for an ambitious and self-motivated colleague who wishes to pursue their own postdoctoral research on a theme in comparative politics and to strengthen the Department’s research profile. The successful candidate will further be expected to teach and supervise at the bachelor and master levels, and to engage in other tasks at the Department
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a Norwegian PhD or an equivalent degree within comparative politics or political science or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- Have good methodological skills.
- Work independently and in a structured manner, as to cooperate with others.
- Proficient in both written and oral English.
Potential candidates may be invited to the department for an interview and might be asked to hold a trial lecture on a given topic.
Personal aptitude and cooperative skills will be of great importance.
The successful candidate is expected to live and work in Bergen region and participate in activities at the Department.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department, please see here.
About the position of postdoctoral research fellow:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is four (4) years, of which 25 per cent of the time comprises obligatory duties at the Department, such as teaching, supervision and administrative tasks. The teaching language is Norwegian and English. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A research proposal of 5-7 pages must accompany the application. The proposal should clearly specify the research themes/questions the applicant would like to investigate, the research design employed, the research outputs envisaged and the planned publication strategy. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
A budget must be set up for operating expenses.
We can offer:
- A professionally stimulating working environment.
- Salary at pay grade 62 (code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment (equivalent to NOK 563 900 per year). Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Good welfare benefits
Your application must include:
- A brief account of the applicant's research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- Research proposal (5-7 pages)
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main advisor from the PhD programme.
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- List of any works of a scientific nature (publication list).
- Overview of teaching qualifications/experience.
- Any publications in your name.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge.no.
The closing date is September 15, 2022.
The application has to be marked with 2022/7834.
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.
Detailed information about the position can be obtained by contacting:
- Head of Department Leiv Marsteintredet, e-mail: [email protected] , Phone +47 5558 3042
Practical questions regarding the application process should be directed to Senior Executive Officer HR - Hanne Cappelen, [email protected].
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
We encourage women to apply. If multiple applicants have approximately equivalent qualifications, the rules pertaining to moderate gender quotas shall apply.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
Further information about our employment process can be found here.