LEDIG STILLING PÅ UNIVERSITETET I SØRØST-NORGE
PhD Research Fellow in Management “Relational work in rural tourism small-scale enterprising”
University of South-Eastern Norway
University of South-Eastern Norway has about 18 000 students and about 1900 employees. The university is organized in four faculties, with instruction and R&D activities on eight campuses. The main profile of the university is to provide socially relevant education, geared towards specific professions, and adapted to the requirements of the workplace, as well as to produce applied research and development.
The USN School of Business have a vacancy for a position as PhD Research Fellow in Management “Relational work in rural tourism small-scale enterprising”
About the position
The Faculty of USN School of business has a vacancy for a 100 % temporary position as PhD Research Fellow in Management "Relational work in rural tourism small-scale enterprising" from 01.08.2023.
The employment period will be three years of full time research and training, with no teaching obligations. It a premise for employment that the PhD Research Fellow is enrolled in USN’s PhD-program in Management within three months of accession in the position.
The PhD candidate will be affiliated with the Sustainability Management Research Group at USN School of Business. The group research portfolio covers sustainability management in a broad sense, including governance and leadership. The group focuses on the transition processes that companies, entrepreneurs, public and private organisations, and individuals need to engage in to address major global challenges to sustainability.
About the PhD-project
Relational work in rural tourism small-scale enterprising
This PhD project sets out to explore and explain the prevalence, nature, and roles of small-scale enterprising in rural tourism through a relational work perspective in the context of Nordic countries.
It will study self-employed entrepreneurs and workers, e.g., lifestyle entrepreneurs and lifestyle-oriented workers, as central actors in a Nordic rural tourism network economy and focus on their working-life conditions, relational enterprising, and the valuation of service work. The project addresses two research questions:
1: What are the conditions, characteristics, and values ascribed to small-scale tourism enterprises and its workers in rural regions?
2: How is relational work performed in small-scale rural tourism enterprises?
Research question 1 addresses the social conditions of lifestyle enterprising, which evokes questions on the characteristics of this type of work and its spatial organization, class-related mobility, and localization patterns, and displays of different forms of social capital and networks.
Research question 2 addresses relational work and socio-economic exchange issues for small-scale tourism enterprises in rural regions, which is studied as a commercial practice for which boundaries between an economic sphere with market-based relationships and a non-economic sphere with non-market-based relationships become blurred.
This project will apply a mixed-methodology approach, consisting of, e.g., a survey, qualitative interviews, and a document analysis. The applicant must be familiar with relevant methods applied in management (ideally, both qualitative and quantitative research methods).
The candidate must have theoretical knowledge of innovation and entrepreneurship. Theoretical knowledge of and interest in economic sociology and/or tourism research represents an advantage.
- Applicants must hold a Master of Science (120 ECTS) in marketing, business, management, innovation/entrepreneurship or equivalent with documented command of research methodology with average grade B or higher.
- The degree must be accomplished before the commencement date.
- Highly qualified candidates with other educational backgrounds may be considered.
- Candidates with other backgrounds must at a minimum have a master level course in research methods and a master level course in their main field of study.
- Applicants with MSc degrees from institutions outside Europe must document GMAT results of a minimum of 600 points (or GRE equivalent).
- Candidates must have an excellent command of written and spoken English.
- The candidate must have the ability to work independently and at the same time have the motivation to share knowledge and take part in teamwork. Research and project work experience and publication record are desirable.
- Personal suitability for the post will be emphasised.
Co-operation between staff members is an integral part of the working environment at the University of South-Eastern Norway. The candidate must be motivated and demonstrate a proven ability to work effectively within a team and in a collegiate manner to formulate and realize common objectives.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant (https://lovdata.no/dokument/SF/forskrift/2006-01-31-102).
- A stimulating and growing research environment, with good opportunities to develop your career and your academic skills
- A good social environment
- Attractive welfare benefits in the State Pension Plan
- Opportunity for physical activities within working hours
PhD Research Fellow (code 1017): NOK 501 200 a year. Further promotion will be based on time served in the position.
A statutory contribution to the state pension plan will be deducted from the employee’s salary.
- The Academic Appointments Board for PhD Research Fellowships is responsible for the appointment. An expert assessment of applicants will be carried out. The candidates deemed best qualified will be invited to an interview.
- The successful candidate is obliged to participate in all common activities relating to the PhD education such as course work, seminars, and other events. These activities take place in campus Drammen and candidates located on other campuses must commute there to participate.
- An integral part of this 3-year fulltime PhD-study is campus based presence.
- Please note that approved work permit is a prerequisite for the employment.
- The research area for the position can include technologies referred to in the Ministry's export control regulations, in that case the candidate must be eligible to obtain a security clearance.
The person appointed must comply with the laws, regulations and agreements that apply at any given time to the post.
According to USN human resources policy, it is our aim that our employees, to the fullest extent possible, shall reflect the diversity of the general population. The University of South-Eastern Norway targets a balanced gender composition and aims to recruit persons with a background as an immigrant.
The University contributes to the Inkluderingsdugnaden (a voluntary scheme to promote inclusion), and we encourage qualified applicants with disabilities to apply for the post. The University will facilitate the workplace for employees with disabilities.
Pursuant to section 25, 2nd paragraph of the Freedom of Information Act, information on the applicant may be disclosed even if the applicant has requested not be included on the list of applicants. Applicants will be notified if such requests are not allowed.
For more information about the position:
- Project manager Birgit Leick, + 47 31 00 96 96, email [email protected]
- Head of department: Terje Andersen + 47 35 95 25 92, email: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment process:
HR-advisor Kari Ann Sommerset [email protected], +4735952599
How to apply
The University of South-Eastern Norway makes use of online application management. Applicants to the post must register their application and CV with enclosures online via the Jobbnorge recruitment portal by clicking on the link on the right-hand side – “Søk stillingen” (Apply for the post).
The following documents shall be attached to the online application:
- Transcripts and diplomas of Bachelor (180 ECTS) and Master Degrees (120 ECTS)
- Master thesis. Applicants that have not completed their thesis at the application date must submit an abstract of the planned thesis work, a date for when the thesis is expected to be approved, and a signed confirmation from the supervisor that the thesis work is in progress and that it is expected to be submitted on time.
- Other relevant certificates (if applicable, must be specified)
- A maximum 5 page project description
- A 1 page motivation letter
- Any scientific publications and a list of these
- Contact information to three references
If applicable, the following documents shall be submitted no later than one week before interview can take place:
- Valid documentation of English proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS)
- Valid documentation of GMAT or GRE scores
You can read more about how to be qualifies and accepted into the PhD programme in Management at USNs pages.
Please note that all documents must be in a Scandinavian language or in English. Any translations must be certified.
NB: The application will be assessed on the basis of the attached documentation as requested above. Each applicant is responsible for ensuring that the required documentation has been uploaded with the application deadline.
The University has been awarded a Charter & Code certificate by the European Commission, and is entitled to use the HR Excellence in Research (HRS4R) logo. The University is also a member of the EURAXESS network, which contributes to good working conditions for mobile researchers.