Ledig stilling ved SINTEF
PhD position on "Experimental methods for coastal waves"
SINTEF is one of Europe's largest research organisations, with multidisciplinary expertise in the fields of technology, the natural sciences and the social sciences. SINTEF is an independent foundation and has conducted contract research and development projects for the private and public sectors since 1950. SINTEF has 2000 employees from 75 countries and annual revenues of three billion Norwegian kroner.
Vision: Technology for a better society
Open ocean waves are generally well reproduced experimentally in hydrodynamic laboratories. When ocean waves approach coastal regions, they are modified by for instance decreasing water depth, islands, skerries, coastline and fjords. Waves in a complex coastal zone have to a lesser extent been studied experimentally in large scale laboratory facilities. Research is needed to establish methods for determining local wave climates in coastal regions, as well as for high quality experimental modelling of coastal waves. The objective of the PhD study will be to establish methods for experimental modelling of coastal waves in hydrodynamic laboratories.
The position will be associated with SFI BLUES "Floating structures for the next generation ocean industries", a new centre for research-based innovation.
We are looking for a candidate:
- With a strong background in marine hydrodynamics or equivalent
- With a passion for technological opportunities in the ocean
- With programming competences
- Which is curious and has the ability to show initiative
- Which is a team player and has high capability to deliver
- Which gets motivated by SINTEFs vision: "Technology for a better society"
- Great opportunities for scientific and personal development in the research forefront of Marine Technology
- A multicultural, creative and social working environment with colleagues who want to make a difference
- Challenging and applied research tasks
- Well-established national and international scientific and industrial networks
- A dynamic and flexible working day with good pension, insurance and welfare schemes
The place of work will be at the Marine Technology Centre in Trondheim. The main supervisor will be from NTNU, and the work will be carried out in close collaboration with a co-supervisor from SINTEF Ocean.
We encourage qualified candidates to submit a short application/motivation letter, including CV and transcript of records within October 31th 2020.
For more information, please contact:
- Vegard Aksnes (Research manager – Marine structures and operations / Centre director – SFI BLUES), Phone: 91874693, [email protected] or
- Henning Braaten (Research manager – Experimental hydrodynamics), Phone: 91574682, [email protected] or
- Trygve Kristiansen (Professor – NTNU IMT), Phone: 91702628, [email protected]
Questions regarding the position:
- Vegard Øgård Aksnes (Forskningsleder), +47 91874693, [email protected]
- Henning Braaten (Forskningsleder), +47 91574682, [email protected]