LEDIG STILLING VED SIMULA
PhD student in Cryptography
Simula UiB AS
Simula UiB AS is a research center owned by Simula Research Laboratory AS and the University of Bergen (UiB). Simula UiB has a close collaboration with leading universities in Norway and abroad, both in terms of research and education of Master and PhD students. Simula UiB aims to increase the security expertise in Norway through research and education in cryptography and information theory and facilitates extended research stays abroad. Since 2001, scientific evaluations conducted by the Research Council of Norway have repeatedly placed Simula at the forefront of international research in ICT.
Simula's main objective is to create knowledge about fundamental scientific challenges that are of genuine value for society. This is achieved through high-quality research, education of graduate students, industry collaboration, technology transfer, and commercialization. Simula also appreciates diversity. We currently employ approximately 155 individuals from 35 countries and strive to create a family-friendly working environment.
Read more about our culture on our websites: The Simula Culture.
Norway is famous for its outdoor scenery, with gorgeous fjords, waterfalls and mountain ranges. Moreover, Norway is a safe and peaceful country with a thriving economy, offering a high standard of living and all the benefits of a social-democratic welfare state, such as social security and universal public healthcare.
Learn more about Norway: Official travel guide to Norway
Call for PhD student in Cryptography
Simula UiB in Bergen, Norway, has a 4-year PhD position available in the field of cryptography. PhD students at Simula UiB enjoy an inclusive working environment with competitive salaries.
The PhD student we are looking for is eager to dive deeper into selected research topics in cryptography. The supervisor for this position is Chief Research Scientist Håvard Raddum, and the possible research areas of interest are: cryptanalysis of crypto primitives, fully homomorphic encryption with applications, or lattice-based cryptography. This list is not exhaustive, other topics will also be considered. The job consists of doing research on a daily basis, moving the research front on one or a few selected areas. Writing research papers and presenting them is an important part of the position. All research will be done with the aim of the student obtaining a PhD degree. The candidate will receive the PhD degree from the University of Bergen. 25% of the 4-year period is compulsory work related to the PhD student’s research area. Examples of compulsory work are teaching courses, outreach, applied research experiments, etc.
We are looking for a candidate who has recently completed, or is about to complete, a master’s degree in cryptography, mathematics, or a closely related field. The candidate must have an inner motivation to understand research problems in depth, find the unknown answers to them, and be truly curious. The master’s degree must have been obtained before starting as a PhD student, and we expect good grades in these studies. The candidate must be completely fluent in English, both in writing and in speaking. Finally, the candidate must function well in, and contribute to, our already excellent and international working environment. Simula UiB is an equal opportunity employer, and women are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Excellent opportunities for performing high-quality research, as part of a highly competent and motivated team of international researchers
- An informal and inclusive international working environment
- Generous support for travel and opportunities to build international networks, funding to attend conferences.
- Modern office facilities located at Marineholmen in the city center of Bergen
- A competitive salary. Starting salary from NOK 491 200,-
- Numerous benefits: access to company cabin, BabyBonus arrangements, sponsored social events, generous equipment budgets (e.g., computer, phone and subscription), comprehensive travel/health insurance policy.
- Relocation assistance: accommodation, visas, complimentary Norwegian language courses
- Wellness and work-life balance. Our employees’ health and well-being is a priority and we encourage them to make use of our flexible work arrangements to help balance their work and home lives efficiently.
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following:
- Curriculum vitae: summarise educational background, working experience (in particular, any relevant academic or industrial work), list of scientific publications
- Cover letter: outline the motivation for applying, relevant experience and qualifications, research interests and how/why you are qualified for the position
- Academic transcripts from Bachelor and Master studies, including a copy of the Master thesis (or its draft in case it is not fully completed)
- Contact information of two references, including the Master supervisor(s)
The candidate must satisfy the enrolment requirements for the PhD programme at the University of Bergen.
Application deadline: November 7th, 2021
Applications will be screened continuously, and decisions will be made as soon as we find the right candidates. The starting date is negotiable.
Additional enquiries regarding the position can be addressed to
- Håvard Raddum, email: [email protected], phone: +47 41091109.
Administrative questions can be addressed to [email protected].
Simula UiB uses Semac´s background check in our recruitment process.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.