Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Statistics with a focus on machine learning
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Department of Mathematics is part of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The Department is engaged in research covering a wide spectrum of subjects within mathematics, mechanics and statistics.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
Position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow available at Department of Mathematics, Section of Statistics and Data Science.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is made for a period of up to three years (10% of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities).
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo. Starting date no later than 01.01.2021.
The postdoctoral position is attached to the Section of Statistics and Data Science at the Department of Mathematics, University of Oslo (UiO). This section consists of 8 full time academic positions, 9 adjunct positions and many PhD-students and post doc’s making up a group of more than 30. Statistics at UiO is internationally recognized, with interests spanning a broad range of areas (including high-dimensional and big data, nonparametric inference, algorithmic methods, machine learning, graphical modeling, Bayesian inference, statistical computing, model selection, time-to-event models, space time models and copula models).
The postdoctoral position is within statistics but with a focus on machine learning methodology. The project is flexible and can to some extent be tailored according to the applicant’s background and interests. We therefore ask the applicant to include a proposal for research plan in the application. However, the project should be connected to current activity within the Section of Statistics and Data Science.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition is to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree within statistics or related fields. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English.
The following qualifications will count in the assessment of the applicants:
- Experience in machine learning methodology
- Good computational skills
- High motivation for a research career, documented primarily via original publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- Ability to work independently as well as in multidisciplinary teams.
- Ability to give and receive constructive scientific criticism
- Resourceful, structured, and results-oriented.
- salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- A research plan for the Postdoctoral period
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
For further information please contact:
- Professor Sven Ove Samuelsen, phone: +47 228 55861, e-mail: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment system please contact: HR adviser Nina Holtan, phone +47 228 54424, e-mail: [email protected].