Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Two Postdoctoral Fellowships in Political Science (4 years)
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department of Political Science is a part of the Faculty of Social Sciences and conducts research, teaching and dissemination. The Department currently has 33 permanent academic staff members, 13 research fellows conducting PhDs, six postdoctoral fellows and ten administrative employees. About 1100 students are currently enrolled in Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD study programmes in political science, as well as the interdisciplinary Bachelor’s degree programmes in International Studies and Public Administration and Leadership, and the Master’s degree programme in Peace and Conflict Studies. The department is the host of C-REX Center for Research on Extremism.
The Department of Political Science is recruiting two Postdoctoral Fellows (SKO 1352). The appointment is for a fixed period of 4 years, with a 25% teaching requirement.
The main purpose of the fellowship is for researchers to qualify for work in higher academic positions. To this end, the main focus of this position is to conduct research, including publication and dissemination. As part of their teaching obligation, the appointed postdoctoral fellows are expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency during their fellowship period.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree (PhD) in Political Science or a closely related discipline before taking up the post.
- For applicants who have yet to receive their PhD degree, the Doctoral dissertation must have been submitted for evaluation before the application deadline.
- Applicants must have a very good command of English (written and oral).
The evaluation of applicants is based on documented, academic qualifications and the research plan. Personal suitability, motivation, and compatibility with the rest of the Department are also considered. The most promising candidates are invited to an interview.
- Salary according to “SKO 1352 postdoktor”, pay grade 59-67, NOK 534 900–615 800 per year
- Personal research funds that can be used for e.g. travel and research assistance (currently NOK 45,000 per year)
- A stimulating and international research environment with multiple research groups and seminar series
- A friendly and inclusive workplace allowing for a good work-life balance
- Access to Norway’s excellent public services and welfare schemes, including generous parental leave provisions and affordable and accessible childcare (including the university’s kindergartens)
- Norway’s capital with its rich cultural life and easy access to beautiful nature
- Financial and practical support for international staff moving to Norway (international staff may also benefit from tax cuts in their first years)
- The university’s mentoring programme for female postdocs
How to apply
The application with attachments must be submitted in our electronic recruiting system. Please follow the link “Apply for this job". All documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their university’s grading system.
The online application must include the following items, which are to be submitted before the deadline:
- A cover letter (max 2 pages), including a statement of motivation
- A research plan (maximum 3000 words excluding references) that includes a theoretical approach, methodology, and a publication plan. The research plan should clarify how your research ideas will contribute to the existing literature in relevant fields.
- A CV summarising education, positions, research and pedagogical experience, administrative experience, and other qualifying activities. Career breaks, including parental leave, that are noted in the CV will be taken into consideration when evaluating applicants’ academic production.
- A complete list of publications
- Copies of educational diplomas and academic transcripts (PhD, MA)
- A copy of what you consider to be your best academic work to date (only one). If this is a co-authored paper/publication, you must additionally submit a declaration of co-authorship specifying your individual contribution and signed by your co-author(s).
- Your PhD dissertation (any language)
- Names and contact details for 2-3 reference persons (name, relationship to candidate, e-mail, and phone number). Reference letters are not needed
- Applicants who have not yet defended their PhD dissertation must include a letter formally confirming that the dissertation has been submitted for evaluation before the application deadline. The exact date it was submitted should be noted in the cover letter
The application deadline is 15.02.2022. The screening and evaluation of candidates will begin immediately. We expect the whole evaluation process, from the application date to an offer being made, to take 12-16 weeks, depending on the number of applications.
We aim to increase diversity in our staff, and especially encourage women to apply.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. We also want to have employees with diverse expertise, combinations of subjects, life experience and perspectives. We will make adjustments for employees who require this.
If there are qualified applicants with special needs, gaps in their CVs or immigrant backgrounds, we will invite at least one applicant in each of these groups to an interview.
For techinal questions regarding the application: HR-adviser Rebecca Hynes.