Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Blindern og Urbygningen (Foto: Wikimedia og Colourbox)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Surface Science and Catalysis
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN) is an interdisciplinary focus field for material and energy research at the University of Oslo. SMN has focused on basic research in renewable energy and environmentally friendly use of fossil energy sources.
The center consists of research groups from the Department of Physics (Fi) and Chemistry (Ki), has about 100 employees from around the world and manages more than 80 projects funded by the EU, the RCN and others.
Position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow available at Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN), Department of Chemistry, University of Oslo.
Starting date no later than October 1, 2023.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is for a period of four years (25 % of which is devoted to required duties, in the form of maintaining the Reactor STM – XPS laboratory, teaching activities and acquiring of basic pedagogical competency).
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo.
We seek a Postdoctoral fellow with documented qualifications and interests in surface science and catalysis related to technologies as CO2 utilization and NH3 abatement in the maritime sector. The work will blend into ongoing activities within the SMN centre, and the position will be affiliated with the research group for Nanostructures and Functional Materials (NAFUMA).
The overall aim for this Postdoctoral position is to take on the responsibility of our unique Reactor STM equipped with a gas-mixing system, QMS, LEED-Auger, EB-evaporator, leak valves and a preparation stage operative up to 1000oC. The equipment was recently upgraded with an integrated high resolution XPS. Furthermore, the successful candidate is expected to take the lead on our NAP XPS synchrotron beam line experiments and to integrate the methodology with the High-Pressure Reactor STM. The research to be carried out will be coupled to our ongoing projects within CO2 utilization, i.e., conversion of CO2 into longer hydrocarbons combining thermal catalysis with photo- and electrocatalysis. Additionally, NAFUMA has a long tradition in studying catalytically driven reactions for abatement of NH3 slip via ammonia oxidation.
SMN is an interdisciplinary centre, promoting research in materials science and nanotechnology. The centre is an international leader in basic science within functional materials and nanoscience, with applications within energy, life science, environment and ICT. The successful candidate is expected to work as part of a team in SMN and the Department of Chemistry.
More about the position
Postdoctoral fellows who are appointed for a period of four years are expected to acquire basic pedagogical competency in the course of their fellowship period within the duty component of 25 %.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in surface science or catalysis. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Documented experimental experience within surface science, and solid competence in at least one of the two techniques, (NAP-)XPS and (Reactor) STM.
- Conduct high-quality independent research
- Interpersonal communication skills and strong teamwork ability
- Willingness to collaborate with Researchers, Postdoctors, PhD and/or Master/Bachelor students in a specialty field
- Self-motivation, creativity, genuine curiosity concerning the field of study, work discipline, professional ethics, and ambition
- Salary NOK 544 400 – 626 300 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records
- Letters of recommendation
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications and the quality of the project, as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
If an applicant has applied for and been granted funding for a fulltime research stay abroad while being employed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, the employment will be prolonged with the equivalent time as the research stay, but for no longer than of twelve months (thus extending the employment to a maximum of four years)
The position's subject area may require licensing under the Norwegian Export Control Act. In order to be considered for the position, it is a prerequisite that UiO must be able to be granted such licence.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
For further information about this position and recruitment process, please contact:
- Professor Anja Olafsen Sjåstad: phone: +47 228 55848, e-mail: email@example.com.
For technical questions regarding Jobbnorge, please contact:
- HR Adviser Olga Holmlund, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply for this job