Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Blindern og Urbygningen (Foto: Wikimedia og Colourbox)
PhD Research Fellow in Inorganic Materials Chemistry (Battery Materials)
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The Department of Chemistry is Norway's largest institution within research and education in chemistry. Our research excels internationally and we educate students to a wide variety of jobs in industry, academia, research institutions, schools and public administration. Our research ranges from the core topics of chemistry to applied science within in environmental, health, energy and materials.
The Department has extensive contacts with industry, research and educational institutions at home and abroad. As partner in the Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology our researchers contributes to a significant interdisciplinary efforts in cooperation with the Department of Physics. The Department of Chemistry has its own school laboratory as a great resource for teachers, public outreach and the didactics of chemistry.
A position as PhD Research Fellow in Inorganic materials chemistry (battery materials) is available at the Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN), Department of Chemistry, University of Oslo, Norway.
No one can be appointed for more than one PhD Research Fellowship period at the University of Oslo.
Starting date no later than October 1, 2023.
The fellowship period is 3 years.
A fourth year may be considered with a workload of 25% that may consist of teaching, supervision duties, and/or research assistance. This is dependent upon the qualification of the applicant and the current needs of the department.
More about the position
The field of battery materials is a rapidly growing area. Among various battery chemistries, Na-ion batteries have been recognized among promising solutions for stationary energy storage. However, further advancements in the field of Na-ion batteries requires new materials and understanding of their behavior.
The goal of this PhD Research Fellow is to develop new cathode materials for Na-ion batteries by combining synthesis, advanced characterization and electrochemical evaluation. Furthermore, part of the candidate’s work will be devoted to the understanding of the mechanisms of materials functionality.
The selected candidate will join a multidisciplinary battery team at Nanostructured Functional Materials group (NAFUMA).
The candidate is anticipated to collaborate with PhD Research Fellows, postdoctoral fellows and researchers working on materials synthesis, characterization and modelling within our battery group.
NAFUMA group at the Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology/the Department of Chemistry has excellent capabilities and expertise in synthesis, advanced characterization and modeling. The group also specializes in structural studies by using operando methods for X-ray diffraction.
The battery activities at NAFUMA have been continuously developed over last ten years and has required tools for preparation, structural and electrochemical characterization of batteries and battery materials.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
Candidates without a Master’s degree have until 30 June, 2023 to complete the final exam.
The position's subject area may require licensing under the Norwegian Export Control Act. In order to be considered for the position, it is a prerequisite that UiO must be able to be granted such licence.
It is desirable that applicants have knowledge and experience in:
- Fundamental understanding of the battery science and the experimental methods (electrochemical characterization, X-ray diffraction, electron microscopy).
- Experience within one or several of the following areas: synthesis of inorganic and/or battery materials, electrochemical characterization of solids and battery materials, crystal structure determination and refinements, operando studies of materials.
- Insights into atomistic modelling of inorganic materials
The norm is as follows:
- The average grade point for courses included in the Bachelor’s degree must be C or better in the Norwegian educational system
- The average grade point for courses included in the Master’s degree must be B or better in the Norwegian educational system
- The Master’s thesis must have the grade B or better in the Norwegian educational system
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in a Scandinavian language is required for a 4-year fellowship including teaching duties
English requirements for applicants from outside of EU/ EEA countries and exemptions from the requirements:
The purpose of the fellowship is research training leading to the successful completion of a PhD degree.
The fellowship requires admission to the PhD programme at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. The application to the PhD programme must be submitted to the department no later than two months after taking up the position. For more information see:
- Willingness and ability to learn and apply new methods
- Creative and skilled in working independently as well as a in a team environment
- The candidate will interact with other coworkers and students at the research section, with research and industrial partners as well as have responsibilities in the laboratory. Hence, personal suitability and organizational skills will be given particular weight in the selection process.
- Salary NOK 501 200 – 544 400 per annum depending on qualifications and seniority as PhD Research Fellow (position code 1017)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Career development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter - statement of motivation and research interests. Describe your experience within one or several of the following areas: synthesis of inorganic and/or battery materials, electrochemical characterization of solids and battery materials, crystal structure determination and refinements, operando studies of materials
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work - scientific publications)
- Copies of the original Bachelor and Master’s degree diploma, transcripts of records
- Documentation of English proficiency (applies for non-EU citizens)
- List of publications and academic work that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system (please follow the link “Apply for this job”). Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Research Fellowships at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
For further information regarding this position and recruitment process, please contact:
For technical questions regarding Jobbnorge, please contact:
Apply for this job