Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Doctoral Research Fellowship in Literature and Culture in the Spanish-speaking World
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages is involved in extensive research, teaching and outreach in the fields of literature, area studies and linguistics within European languages apart from the Nordic ones. The Department has an active research environment with a wide range of international collaboration. Many of our researchers play a part in giving the general public insight into the results of this research. The Department has about 130 members of staff: approximately 80 in academic posts, approximately 30 Ph.D. fellows and postdoctoral fellows, and 18 in administrative posts. The Department has approximately 300 master students and 1000 bachelor students.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
A Doctoral Research Fellowship (SKO 1017) in Literature and Culture in the Spanish-speaking World is available at the Department of Literature, Area Studies and European Languages (ILOS), University of Oslo.
The position is opened for Ph.D. research projects centered on aspects of contemporary Latin American literatures (20th and/or 21st century). Within this framework, priority will be given to projects that in some way or other touch upon problems linked to the current process of globalization and its tensions with local specificities. Proposals with focus on the textual dimension (e.g. translation, international transfer of poetics or genres, and representations of the world) as well as those that refer to extraliterary aspects (e.g. editorial policies, international prizes or reception at academic or journalistic level) are of interest. The project can be focused on a genre, specific texts or authors. Projects with an interest in poetry are particularly encouraged. The selected Ph.D. candidate will be supervised by associate professor Jorge J. Locane. The thesis must be written in Spanish or English. Expected startdate is 1 January 2021.
More about the position
The person appointed will be affiliated with the Faculty's organized research training. The academic work is to result in a doctoral thesis that will be defended at the Faculty with a view to obtaining the degree of PhD. The successful candidate is expected to join the existing research milieu or network and contribute to its development. Read more about the doctoral degree.
The appointment is for a duration of 3 years. All PhD Candidates who submit their doctoral dissertation for assessment with a written recommendation from their supervisor within 3 years or 3 ½ years after the start of their PhD position, will be offered, respectively, a 12 or 6 month Completion Grant.
- A Master's degree or equivalent in Spanish Philology, Latin American Studies, Comparative Literature, or Translation Studies. The Master's degree must have been obtained and the final evaluation must be available by the application deadline.
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in Spanish and English.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position.
To be eligible for admission to the doctoral programmes at the University of Oslo, applicants must, as a minimum, have completed a five-year graduation course (Master’s degree or equivalent), including a Master’s thesis of at least 30 ECTS. In special cases, the Faculty may grant admission on the basis of a one-year Master course following an assessment of the study programme’s scope and quality.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on:
● The project's scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
● The applicant's estimated academic and personal ability to complete the project within the time frame
● The applicant's ability to complete research training
● Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary academic communities
Applicants who have recently graduated with excellent results may be given preference.
- Salary NOK 479 600 – 523 200 per annum depending on qualifications
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Attractive welfare benefits
How to apply
The application must include:
- Application letter describing the applicant’s qualifications and motivation for the position
- Curriculum Vitae (with a list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities, including a complete list of publications)
- Transcript of records of your Bachelor’s and Master's degrees. Applicants with education from a foreign university must attach an explanation of their university's grading system
- Project description, including a detailed progress plan for the project (3 - 5 pages, see Template for project descriptions)
Please note that all documents must be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Educational certificates, master theses and the like are not to be submitted with the application, but applicants may be asked to submit such information or works later.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”.
Short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview.
Following the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) § 25, Chapter 2, demographic information about the applicant may be used in the public list of applicants even if the applicant opts out from the entry in the public application list.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for the purpose of securing rights to intellectual property created by its employees, including research results.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
- Associate Professor Jorge J. Locane; [email protected]
- Head of Administration Karina Kleiva
- HR Adviser Evian Nordstrand (questions on the electronic application)