Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Philosophy
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Department embraces four disciplines: Philosophy, Classical Languages (Greek and Latin), History of Ideas and Art History. The Department is also responsible for the introductory philosophy courses, obligatory for all students attending study programmes at the University of Oslo. The Department has about 140 employees.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas
A Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (SKO 1352) is available at ConceptLab at the Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas, University of Oslo (UiO).
The department is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow whose research will contribute to the project ConsciousBrainConcepts. For information about the project in general, please see:
The candidate will be expected to contribute primarily to the philosophical component of the project and also be willing to participate in relevant interdisciplinary work.
The candidate will be expected to have her or his residence and work place in Oslo, to participate in the various workshops and conferences organized by ConsciousBrainConcepts, and to be an active member of the research team.
More about the position
The position is available for a period of up to three years. There is a 10% component of the position which is devoted to teaching and administrative duties.
The successful candidate is expected to become part of the research environment/network of the department and contribute to its development. The main purpose of the fellowship is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
- A PhD or equivalent academic qualifications with a specialization in philosophy
- The candidate's research project must be connected to the research topics of the ConsciousBrainConcepts project.
- Good English language skills
- Personal suitability and motivation for the position
The doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the application closing date. Appointment is dependent on the public defense of the doctoral thesis being approved.
The following qualifications will count in the assessment of the applicants:
- The project’s scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
- The applicant’s estimated academic and personal ability to carry out the project within the allotted time frame and to contribute to the main project
- The quality of the project description
- The candidate’s international experience and network
- Good co-operative skills, and the ability to successfully join in academic collaboration within and across disciplines
We are looking for a strongly motivated, competent and internationally oriented candidate, with high academic qualifications in the relevant area of research.
- Salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Membership in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- Attractive welfare benefits
How to apply
The application must include
- Application letter with an expression of interest and specification of how the project will contribute to the philosophical aspects of the project ConsciousBrainConcepts
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Project description, including progress plan (3 - 5 pages). The project description must present a feasible progress plan. It is expected that the applicant will be able to complete the project during the period of appointment
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- A complete list of publications
- A writing example (maximum 7000 words)
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for the purpose of securing rights to intellectual property created by its employees, including research results.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
For questions about the position:
For questions on how to apply: HR-Officer Julie Tøllefsen