Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Fellowship in ICT in peace and conflict
Universitetet i Oslo
he University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The Department of Informatics (IFI) is one of nine departments belonging to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. IFI is Norway’s largest university department for general education and research in Computer Science and related topics.
The Department has more than 1400 students on bachelor level, 600 master students, and over 240 PhDs and postdocs. The overall staff of the Department is close to 370 employees, about 280 of these in full time positions. The full time scientific staff is 75, mostly Full/Associate Professors.
Flere stillinger fra Universitetet i Oslo
Position as postdoctoral research fellow ICT in peace and conflict is available at the Department of Informatics at the University of Oslo.
The fellowship period is 3.5 years. 10 % of the position will be dedicated to teaching activities. Starting date no later than 01.01.2020.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo.
The position will focus on how ICTs can contribute to ‘a better world’ within conflict and post-conflict areas.
The position will form a part of the Information Systems research group. We focus on action research in the public health sector in developing countries, contributing to information systems research in general and ICT4D in particular. It is expected that this position to align with but also extend and enrich the empirical and theoretical foundation of the research group by venture into the area of ICT in peace and conflict. It is also expected that the position will establish new institutional collaborations with relevant research groups and other stakeholders.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition of being a leading research faculty. Candidates for this fellowship will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- A PhD or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in information systems. Doctoral dissertation must be submitted for evaluation by the closing date. Only applicants with an approved doctoral thesis and public defence are eligible for appointment.
- The ability to demonstrate an understanding of the information systems field in general and ICT4D in particular
- Experience with research on ICTs for peace and conflict
- Experience with fieldwork in developing countries across different continents, countries and cultures
- Experience with action research
- Experience coordinating research activities
- Experience from collaborating with other relevant research groups, stakeholders and funders such as EU
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period.
- salary NOK 532 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- vibrant international academic environment
- postdoctoral development programmes
- attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system using the “Apply for this job” button, and must include:
- Cover letter with a statement of motivation and research interests in alignment with the focus of the Information Systems research group
- CV (summarizing education, positions and academic work / scientific publications)
- Copies of educational certificates, transcript of records and letters of recommendation
- List of publications and up to five publications that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University’s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.
It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
The main purpose of post-doctoral research fellowships is to qualify researchers for work in top academic positions within their disciplines.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom and Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds. Thus, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity but would like to specifically encourage female candidates to apply.
For further information, please contact:
- Associate Professor Petter Nielsen, phone +47 41506058, email [email protected]
For technical questions regarding the recruitment system, please contact HR Adviser Torunn Standal Guttormsen, phone: +47 22854272, e-mail: [email protected]