Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship - Institute of Health and Society (HELSAM)
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest ranked educational and research institution, with 28 000 students and 7000 employees. With its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally recognised research communities, UiO is an important contributor to society.
The Institute of Health and Society is one of three institutes at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Oslo. The Institute covers various disciplines and consists of six departments: General Practice, Health Sciences, Health Management and Health Economics, Medical Ethics, Community Medicine and Global Health and Nursing Science.
The Institute of Health and Society bases its work on a complex understanding of disease, health and health systems. Culture, environment, economics, society and biology play direct and indirect roles. Our teaching responsibilities include seven Master’s programs, one Bachelor program and part of the Faculty’s medical school and PhD-program. We employ about 220 FTE and have almost 700 Bachelor and Master students. Annual income is about 200 mill NOK, half of which is external funding. Our researchers play an active part of public policy and disseminate new knowledge through many channels.
The Institute of Health and Society (HELSAM) at the University of Oslo offers a postdoctoral positon for 3 years in Health Management and Policy.
The current position will be allocated to the Department of Health Management and Health Economics (HELED). HELED is a multidisciplinary department, consisting mostly of economists, social scientists and medical doctors, and conducting research in the fields of health economics and economic evaluation, health management and health policy, public health and clinical effectiveness. HELED is organised in four research groups (see website). The department is responsible for PhD training, the teaching of medical students in quality, leadership and knowledge management, and four discrete study programs: a bachelor’s degree program in Health Management and Health Economics (taught in Norwegian), two master’s degree programs; (both taught in English), and an executive master’s degree program in Health Administration (taught in Norwegian).
HELED is strengthening its research in health management and policy and searches a postdoc fellow with relevant academic background in social sciences/health sciences and knowledge in the field, as the teaching responsibilities for this position are associated with the department’s bachelor and master courses in health management and policy. The position advertised is part of this undertaking, as we seek to add to our academic staff expertise who works within these fields. The successful candidate will be part of the research group in health management, organisation and ethics.
More about the position
The appointment is a fulltime position and is made for a period of up to three years (10% of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities).
The position requires a relevant PhD degree or equivalent academic qualifications. Emphasis will be put on research competence in health management and policy as well as experience with teaching students from diverse backgrounds. Particular emphasis will be attached to applicants' scientific publications during the past five years and that are closely related to the area in which the post is advertised.
The successful candidate is expected to initiate and lead research, supervise students, participate in teaching, examination and assessment at all levels and to carry out administrative duties and leadership in accordance with the needs of HELSAM.
The main purpose of the fellowship is to qualify researchers for work in higher academic positions within their disciplines.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in social science/health science discipline, with relevance for the area of health management and policy. Only candidates that have submitted their PhD before the closing date for this position are eligible
- Demonstrated experience with teaching
- The ability to perform high impact academic work, demonstrated by previous publications in relevant journals
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English and a Scandinavian language (or acquire competence in a Scandinavian language within two years subsequent to their appointment)
The following qualifications will count in the assessment of the applicants:
- International peer-reviewed publications, with an emphasis on works published during the last five years (elapsed time on statutory leave will be added)
- Original and innovative research along with the will and ability to cross-disciplinary engagement and cooperation
- Potential to contribute to HELSAM’s long-term development of its academic research environment
- Potential to contribute to pedagogical development
- Skills in popular dissemination, public outreach and innovation
- Collaborative skills and contribution to a positive working environment
- Salary NOK 523 200 – 605 500 per annum depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellow (position code 1352)
- A professionally stimulating working environment
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement, in addition to Oslo’s family-friendly environment with its rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include
- Cover letter (statement of motivation, summarizing scientific work and research interest)
- CV (summarizing education, positions held, pedagogical experience, administrative experience, project acquisition and coordination experience, and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates (academic transcripts only)
- A complete list of publications
- A postdoc project description (max 5 pages) demonstrating the candidate's knowledge of the healthcare sector, as well as ideas for research to be conducted within the field of health management and policy
- Description of lecturing experience
- List of reference persons: 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and phone number)
Applications will first be reviewed by a sorting committee. The most promising applicants will then be asked to submit up to 5 publications which the applicant considers particularly noteworthy, as well as documentation of other relevant qualifications, to be considered by the assessment committee.
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their University's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description, and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability. Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged.It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
The University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results etc.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
- Associate Professor Eli Feiring, Head of department, phone number: +47 2285035, e-mail: [email protected]
- HR-adviser Susan Rockwell (regarding application registration) e-mail: [email protected]