Ledig stilling på Universitetet i Oslo
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Digital Health in a Global Context
Universitetet i Oslo
The University of Oslo is Norway’s oldest and highest rated institution of research and education with 28 000 students and 7500 employees. Its broad range of academic disciplines and internationally esteemed research communities make UiO an important contributor to society.
The Department of Informatics (IFI) is one of nine departments belonging to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. IFI is Norway’s largest university department for general education and research in Computer Science and related topics.
The Department has more than 1800 students on bachelor level, 600 master students, and over 240 PhDs and postdocs. The overall staff of the Department is close to 370 employees, about 280 of these in full time positions. The full time tenured academic staff is 75, mostly Full/Associate Professors.
About the position
Position as Postdoctoral Research in the “EquityAMR” (Equitable Antimicrobial Resistance”) project is available at the Department of Informatics at the University of Oslo.
The appointment is a fulltime position and is for a period of two (2) years (10% of which is devoted to required duties, usually in the form of teaching activities).
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Research Fellowship at the University of Oslo. Preferred starting date no later than August 1, 2023.
The position will focus on conducting high quality research into processes of building and implementing digital antimicrobial resistance surveillance systems in the public health sector in India and Sri Lanka. The candidate will conduct extensive and extended ethnographic fieldwork in India and Sri Lanka and develop research questions and analyses that contribute to the interdisciplinary objectives of the EquityAMR project.
We expect this position to align with but also extend and enrich the empirical and theoretical foundation of the research groups at Digital Innovation Group, IFI and Centre for Excellence on Sustainable Healthcare Education (SHE) in the Faculty of Medicine. We expect that the position establishes new institutional collaborations with relevant research groups and other stakeholders in Norway, India, Sri Lanka and more broadly to other low- and middle-income countries. The successful candidate will work individually and in collaboration with project team members to stimulate synergies and interdisciplinary learning. The position will form a part of the collaboration between DIG and SHE, which together provide for a stimulating environment including researchers in informatics, medicine, and social sciences, developing interdisciplinary research on AMR and global health.
The main purpose of a postdoctoral fellowship is to provide the candidates with enhanced skills to pursue a scientific top position within or beyond academia. To promote a strategic career path, all postdoctoral research fellows are required to submit a professional development plan no later than one month after commencement of the postdoctoral period. The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences offers post doctoral programmes for career development.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has a strategic ambition to be among Europe’s leading communities for research, education and innovation. Candidates for these fellowships will be selected in accordance with this, and expected to be in the upper segment of their class with respect to academic credentials.
- Applicants must hold a degree equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in information systems, medicine or community health. Candidates whose PhD thesis has been formally submitted to the Faculty for examination by the closing date are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must demonstrate an understanding of the information systems field in general and ICT4D and Health IT in particular
- Applicants must have experience with fieldwork in different contexts, demonstrating sensitivity to cultural and social contexts
- Willingness to undertake extensive and extended empirical investigation in the research sites
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English are required
- Experience with research on AMR surveillance, with a strong grounding in the social sciences
- Experience of working in the public health sector, particularly India, Sri Lanka and other Asian contexts
- Experience with implementation research and evaluation methodologies
- Experience with action research and interventionist methods
- Experience with coordinating research activities
- Experience from collaborating with other relevant research groups, stakeholders and funders such as EU
- Demonstration of active engagement in research and publication post-Phd
- Ability to lead and conduct research in a collaborative environment
- Ability to give and receive constructive scientific criticism
- Resourceful, structured, and result-oriented
- Salary NOK 544 400 – 626 300 per year depending on qualifications in position as Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (position code 1352)
- Attractive welfare benefits and a generous pension agreement
- Professionally stimulating working environment
- Vibrant international academic environment
- Postdoctoral development programmes
- Oslo’s family-friendly surroundings with their rich opportunities for culture and outdoor activities
How to apply
The application must include:
- Cover letter with a statement of motivation and research interests in alignment with the focus of the Information Systems research group
- A 2-3 pages concept note on proposed research focus in the framework of the EquityAMR RCN project (copy of the proposal can be requested from Sundeep Sahay – [email protected])
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of educational certificates, academic transcript of records
- A complete list of publications and up to 5 academic works that the applicant wishes to be considered by the evaluation committee
- Names and contact details of 2-3 references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone number)
The application with attachments must be delivered in our electronic recruiting system, please follow the link “Apply for this job”. Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their university's grading system. Please note that all documents should be in English (or a Scandinavian language).
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on the documented, academic qualifications, the project description (whenever this is required in the call for applicants), and the quality of the project as well as the candidates motivation and personal suitability.
Interviews with the best qualified candidates will be arranged. It is expected that the successful candidate will be able to complete the project in the course of the period of employment.
Please see the guidelines and regulations for appointments to Postdoctoral fellowships at the University of Oslo.
No one can be appointed for more than one Postdoctoral Fellow period at the University of Oslo.
If an applicant has applied for and been granted funding for a fulltime research stay abroad while being employed as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, the employment will be prolonged with the equivalent time as the research stay, but for no longer than of twelve months ( thus extending the employment to a maximum of four years)
According to the Norwegian Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) information about the applicant may be included in the public applicant list, also in cases where the applicant has requested non-disclosure.
Inclusion and diversity are a strength. The University of Oslo has a personnel policy objective of achieving a balanced gender composition. Furthermore, we want employees with diverse professional expertise, life experience and perspectives.
If there are qualified applicants with disabilities, employment gaps or immigrant background, we will invite at least one applicant from each of these categories to an interview.
For further information please contact:
- Professor Sundeep Sahay, phone: +47 45289760, e-mail: [email protected]
For questions regarding the recruitment system, please contact HR Adviser Therese Ringvold, e-mail: [email protected]